Chapter 37

I woke up even earlier than I usually did. I felt that things were not as simple as they seemed and I needed answers to my questions.

I hesitated before knocking on the door lightly.

I hope he's awake.

After the second knock, the door slid open and Dr Ray stood in front of me in his usual smart, collared outfit.

Thank goodness!

He looked more than surprise to see me.

Who wouldn't be?

"Morning Fortis, what brings you here?" he asked.

"I'm here to consult you on something," I said.

"Okay, come in." He moved deeper into the room and took a seat by his desk. There were many materials sprawled out on his desk, showing that he was in the midst of something before I entered.

"Sorry for interrupting. Are you busy? I can come in the afternoon or something..." I proposed.

"No it's fine. I'm just arranging some medical documents. Take a seat and give me a minute," he stacked his pile of notes and placed them on the side neatly.

I pulled the chair out and sat across him quietly.

How do I ask him about the Aconitenol?

Dr Ray pushed his specs up the bridge of his nose and looked up from the stacks of paper after a few minutes. "What is it that you want to know?"

"I'm interested to learn more about medicines."

"You are?" his voice raised slightly.

"Yes. I think that it could prove to be useful someday."

"Ah. So you're seeing medicine as a tool?" His glasses glinted under the light as he spoke.

Does he not approve my answer?
"I..."

"Don't be so nervous. It was just a random question."

Was it?

He smiled.

"Everyone has their own perception of what medicines are. I won't tell you that you're wrong. After all, medicines are known for their healing purposes."

I relaxed slightly his words.

"What are they to you, Dr Ray?"

"They're like papers."

Papers?

"What are the characteristics of a paper?" he asked.

"It's thin, light and useful?" I tried.

"Is that all it?" Dr Ray prompted.

"It's..."

He lifted one of the paper from the stack and flipped it over.

"Two-sided?" I answered.

"Right," he smiled.

He had led me to the answer himself.

"It could be useful but there's always two sides to everything. While medicines can be used to heal, it can also be used to kill."

Used to kill? Goosebumps rode up my arms.

"That's why they must be handled carefully. If you're not careful, you're going to end up with a paper cut."

I nodded in agreement.