Chapter 4

Walking behind Zander along a dimly lit hallway, I was deep in thoughts. A deal was struck between me and Gladion. He had seeked my help to fight the other Clovers and overthrow Duan since I was special and could aid him immensely. I am reluctant to be roped into a political dispute like this but I have no choice. He had promised to help me return to Earth after the war.

"Can you move faster," Zander voiced out impatiently.

"Well I'm sorry. I don't have long legs like you do," I rebutted crossly.

He responded by increasing his pace and I quickened my steps too so that I could keep him in my sight. I can't believe that Gladion placed him in charge for my training. Why him out of all the other four-leafed Clovers like myself? Are the others going to be as rude as him?

"Here," he slid open a door and side-stepped for me to enter.

"Everything you need is in there. Meet me in the battle courtyard tomorrow at 6:30 sharp."

"How am I supposed to know the way there?" I called out to him, who was already walking away.

"There's a map in your room," he answered and disappeared around the corner before I could say anything else.

Whatever. I slid the door shut. The door can't be locked? I pushed the table against the door. I'm a light sleeper. If anyone tries to come in, the noise would wake me up. The decoration of the room was somewhat similar to mine back on Earth. Was it done deliberately? Even so, I won't be able to feel at home. I sighed as I opened the wardrobe doors. There're many clothes inside. They sure worked fast. Picking a random loose T-shirt and shorts, I went into the bathroom and took a quick shower, making sure to wash away the dried blood on my neck. A crazy thought bloomed in my head. It had to be done to confirm that everything that had happened so far was real. I ran my finger over the sharp edge of the mirror I winced at the cut on my finger. I watched intently as it grew fainter and fainter until it disappeared altogether as though it didn't exist. This is real.

While waiting for my hair to dry, I stared at the map, trying to figure out the routes. The place was humongous. There are 50 rooms in total, including 40 bedrooms. There must be a lot of people in this house. I'm on the second floor currently and the courtyard is on the ground floor. There are two stairs which led to the first floor, each behind a door. After reading the map for what seemed like eternity, I placed it back on the table. I surely can't read a map to save my life. I laid down and stared up at the ceiling. I still don't get it. Why would she keep the truth from me? Tears pricked my eyes at the thoughts of my mother keeping things from me for so many years. We only have each other. Why would she lie and what other things did she hide from me all these time? With a heavy heart, I gave in to the darkness.

******************************

Please let this be the correct door to the stairs. I slid it open carefully. A guy was pulling his shirt over himself.

"Sorry!" I slammed the door shut and hurried back the way I had came from.

This place is a maze! All the doors looked the same to me. Luckily, I found the stairs on the second try. One level cleared. Now I would just have to find the battle courtyard. I turned left and entered the living room where I had broken the vase yesterday. The mess had been cleared up. However, it still triggered bad memories.

Whatever happened to Savage? I sure hope I won't ever cross path with him again. I proceeded further inwards and entered a capacious room with long wooden tables and chairs. This should be the dinning room? I was fully aware that there was not a soul in sight. It made me doubt that there are more than a hundred people living under the same roof. I must be not far from my destination. There are four doors here, excluding the one I had came through. Trusting my instinct, I headed straight for the door to my right.