"𝐏𝐄𝐀𝐂𝐄"- ‏ our coming of age has come and gone

Thank you for nearly 5k reads!

Episode:
4x18 | "Omnivore"

"Well, would you accept his deal if you knew that before?" She asked, raising her eyebrow, Aaron sighed sliding down the headboard and lying on his side, facing her. Pulling her body a little more closer to his

Emily first opened her eyes to find him with his back to the headboard his head pressed to the wall and eyes glued to the ceiling.

She knew he couldn't sleep and that talking with him couldn't wait for the next morning.
She was right of course.

The team, as profilers were good at doing their job it gave them the gift of being able to recognize and empathize with each other's pain and struggles, giving advices and sometimes even put some sense in what they were dealing with. However, despite their ability to do so, they ironically were unable to apply the same logic to their own thoughts and lives.

Aaron replayed in his mind the conversation he had with Dave after Foyet killed seven people inside of a bus in response of his refusal to take his deal. Aaron was now trying to force himself to let it go but he couldn't. those people were dead, Foyet got away and suddenly he wasn't convinced anymore. He knew Dave was right and he knew they can't always get everything right but what he told him became a weak argument and a useless defense against his judgmental mind or maybe his ego? He wasn't sure.

But nevertheless the thought of agreeing to have a deal with Foyet was unthinkable for him, it didn't even cross his mind, it was the easy way, the cowardly decision and he couldn't do it not without thinking of the consequences about how he will selfishly leave it to his replacement to deal with and of course what it will result in, not only the people he killed will never get justice but it wouldn't stop Foyet either, he'll kill again after he will die which with his job the chances for that to happen weren't low.

"No" he answered sincerely to her question

Aaron couldn't live like Tom, constantly feeling watched, defeated and with the faces of the victims he gave up on flashing in front of him every time he closes him eyes.
He could never be able to look his son in the eyes knowing he's a fraud, he could never live his life knowing he let someone bad get away.

No, that for certain he could never do

Emily smiled at his answer, she knew he was beating himself over this case and Foyet's escape but she was happy to see it didn't make him regret his decision and abandon his values, he did the right thing.

"then there is no reason for you to keep torturing yourself over this" she said, Emily was in his place so many times and he was always the one to support and assist her, and it was her turn to do the same

"it's that simple Aaron" she snuggled closer to him "why won't you let it stay that way?" She whispered trying to find that answer in his eyes

He was so full of worry knowing Foyet was out there and there were so many ways he could've make him regret turning him down, how many people he's going to hurt now? The possibilities were endless. "All of those people Emily... and the fact he got away"

The overthinking phase was inevitable but she knew it'll come to an end too, if he wants to keep doing this job and catch Foyet. He must. "it's not your fault. You did what you thought was right based on what we knew and the circumstances. We will catch him I promise" She said