You paint dreamscapes on the wall

Celebrating 7k reads with chapter number 50! | Ty all for reading
Episode:
5x02 | "Hunted"

____

One week before coming back to work

She was deep asleep, and he watched, his fingers floating over her body, tracing its outlines—her back, spine, shoulders, and the cut Cyrus had inflicted on her back in Colorado. It had transformed into a thin white line across her hip, similar to the ones he had on his chest.

Aaron sighed, quietly getting up from the bed and putting on his pants. Covering Emily as he did so.

He was supposed to return to work soon. He needed that distraction and needed to get back in the field. He couldn't stay home any longer. He had been waiting for that moment, but now he was fearful. What if nothing changed? What if he continues to feel the way he does now even after he returns to work? What if his return didn't bring them any closer to catching Foyet?

Emily woke up later, feeling the emptiness on his side of the bed. She got up and put on his shirt, making her way to the living room where he seemed to be working with Foyet's case file open. She sat down next to him.

"I'm fine. Go back to sleep" he said before she could even say a word. "Can I help in any way?" she asked. He had been doing that a lot—allowing himself to be with her, maybe even vulnerable and comfortable, only to distance himself from her and dive back into his files. She couldn't blame him; she knew why he was doing it. Without the BAU, it was the only thing he could do—going through Foyet's profile and hope it'll give him new insights. She couldn't judge him so she offered her help, he could also use her help when he did that. He could voice his thoughts, and maybe she would provide him with a new perspective. Unfortunately, he didn't see it the way she did.

"Unless you have any new information, you're as useless as I am" he hissed, his voice laced with annoyance and perhaps hopelessness too. She watched him collect the files into one organized pile and get up. "Hey" she reached out and grabbed his arm, stopping him from leaving again. "Talk to me, please." she asked when their eyes met.

It was like a reminder to him that he was lashing out at her again for no reason, but without even realizing it. He took her hand and kissed her knuckle. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean it" he mumbled guiltily. Emily nodded in understanding. "I know."

He let out a small sigh and pulled her into a hug, kissing the top of her head. He wanted to stay like this, without talking, without thinking, just holding her with her head tucked under his chin and her scent enveloping him. But he knew it wasn't possible. Foyet was still out there, his family was away, summer was ending, the leaves would start to fall, and change was due. It was inevitable, just like the recognizable vast shadow that began to cover him.

He couldn't protect his family. He wasn't sure he can protect Emily. How long would this last? That was the question that started to overpower the calmness her scent brought to his soul.

His hope was dwindling.

____

She wasn't sure if the feeling that was weighing her down was anger or fear. The house was surrounded by the team and the police, and in the moment she wasn't looking, he casually walked in. Emily stood frozen, watching him act so unpredictably.

Although, perhaps it was predictable.

fear was evident on her face. Dave knew he shouldn't try to talk to her, and he made sure the others wouldn't either, especially not during such a crucial moment.