94

94| Bullies

Desiree's POV

I sat down at the lunch table and opened my lunch. I saw a note that my parents wrote me and I smiled. I love it when they write notes in my lunch, I'm never too old for that.

We love you, baby!
-Mommy & Momma

I left the note in my lunch box and ate my lunch. They made me a sandwich and packed me a few snacks. I peacefully ate my lunch and drew in my sketchbook. My momma says that I get my love of art from Uncle Mike and I can tell. I saw a few of his drawings on the internet and they are good. I peacefully drew and ate my lunch but that was until I heard people laughing. I looked up and saw my bullies walking towards me. I quickly put my book away into my bag and closed it. I turned my body to the side and continued eating my lunch.

"That's right, don't pay them any mind."

"How come when people bother me, you show up?"

"Cause I see it happening."

"Oh, so you're like Raven Symoné now?"

"Indeed, but also you're going to fight them."

"How do you know?"

"Like I told you I can see it happening and Christian has been teaching you how to box, like you wanted." He has been teaching me but I just told him that I want to be stronger. He doesn't know that I'm going to be fighting.

"Mmm."

"But stop talking because they're coming, don't want them thinking that you're crazy."

"Well, well, well." The ring leader spoke. I honestly don't know her name, I don't know any of their names.

"Question, what do you three gain from picking on someone younger and smaller than you? Does it make you feel good inside to pick on someone and to probably know that they won't defend themselves?"

Not me though. I'm defending. People say I'm a fighter like mommy but I don't know. I had never seen my mother fight. I keep hearing the same story about this person named Shawnette but that's all. And my mom had the right to beat her up, she kissed my momma and then acted like it didn't happen.

"Because you think that you're hot stuff because you're smart."

"Pfft, your words not mine." That's not a valid reason but people just want to have a problem for no reason. I went back to eating my lunch and Auntie Whitney smiled at me.

"Ouu girl, you better than me. I would've whooped ass." I took a bite of my sandwich to refrain from laughing.

"This is a nice bracelet you have here." The middle one spoke and I took my arm out of her view. But I was too late. She had already grabbed my arm so when I yanked it from her grip, it slipped off. I watched as it fell onto the floor and I quickly got up to get it. My hand touched the floor and just as I was about to retrieve my bracelet, one of them stepped on my hands. I winced in pain and looked up. The ring leader stepped on my bracelet with her big ass combat boots and it broke into little pieces. My mouth dropped as I looked at the bracelet that Grandpa Joe gave me before he passed.

Why would they do that?! That's the only thing I have left from him until I'm 18. I'm only 12! I have a long way to go and... you know what? Stay calm Des.

"Man fuck that calm shit!" Auntie Whitney spoke.

"Why would you do that?!"

"It's just a bracelet, you'll get over it." I got angry and I pushed her. She gasped as she stumbled back and the lunch room went silent.