24

2023
Indonesia

Marc

I juggle the ball around for a bit before I had to start warming up.
The game between Canada was in less then an hour and I was ready to get the u-17 World Cup started.
I look up at the crowd and spot my mom sat near the front.
I was a bit bummed out at the fact that Mariana, my dad and Monica couldn't come but I glad my mom was here.
Mariana had a few upcoming tests and labs that she needed to stay in town for and Monica can't miss to much school or she won't graduate and dad has to stay back and look after her. I pick up the ball and walk over to the bench where I had my bag.
I pull out my phone and look at the time. It's 12pm back home and I still haven't gotten a text from her.
I press my lips together in a tight line. 'She has a class at 1, she should be up already, she never wakes up past 9.'
I go over to our message and see that the few messages I sent her through the day were still on delivered.
I sigh and put my phone away before heading back out to the pitch to warm up. "Why the long face?" Hector asks as he runs up next to me. I look over at him as we jog. "I'm just nervous." Not a complete lie. He nods.
Me and Hector warm up for a while jogging, stretching and doing a few passing drills before we had to go back over to the bench and take our warm ups off.
I pull out my phone one last time to see that I still had nothing from the girl. No 'good luck' or even a simple 'seen'.
I run my hand through my hair before clicking on her messages.

Messages to
Anita ❤️

sent at 9:24am

i'm alive.
you went to sleep like
4 hours ago
😔

sent at 3:30pm

wake up

sent at 4:00pm

folleti 😛

hector says hi

sent at 6:50pm

the game is about to start

.
.
.

Mariana

I rush down the stadium steps, a I hear the announcement that the Canadian national anthem was about to play. Spotting Marc's mom sitting in the 2nd row from the front, exactly where she told me she'd be.
The last few hours have been absolutely hectic. I got on a plane, yesterday at 7pm Spain time and got to Indonesia 4pm their time on the 10th. Took me a solid hour to leave their airport and another hour to get to the hotel, get a quick bit to eat and get ready and leave for the stadium. Which I was a nervous reck because that was my first time getting a taxi on my own. But I made it. Running on zero sleep, but I made it.
I make my way across the bleacher, catching Mrs.Paz's attention. She smiles widely at me as she gets up and pulls me into a hug. "I was nervous you weren't going to make it." She says as we sit down. I breath out and nod. "It's been hectic." I laugh.
She smiles at me and reaches next to her to grab something before turning back just to me. I my heart swells as I see her pull out a cup of iced coffee and hands it to me.
I place my hand on my chest before taking it from her. "I figured you'd need the energy, the ice might be a bit melted, I left to by it like 30 minutes ago." She says with a sorry expression. I shake my head as I take a sip.
"No, no. It's fine, thank you so much I needed this, I haven't slept in 30 hours." I say.
Her face falls and she places her hand on my bicep. "Oh, cariño." She says in a worry tone.
I open my mouth to say something but I quick shut it once they tell us to stand for the Spain national anthem.
"There was a baby on the plane." I quickly explained because facing to where the Spanish flash was being held.
I let my eyes scan that line of Spanish boys until they finally landed on my boyfriend. His hands were placed behind his back as he stood there facing the flag.
I could tell he was slightly nervous. I felt a little bad because I haven't responded to any of his messages. I should texted him a good luck to be honest.
The national anthem finishes and I sit back down.
I watch as Marc's eyes start to scan the crowd until he finally lands where we are. He stares for a second, then the straight face he had turns into a happy one, as he smiles widely in our direction before he twists his head over and says something to Hector.
"He's happy to see you." I felt Mrs.Paz place a hand onto mine.
"He wouldn't admit it but he was upset that you couldn't come." She tells me.
"I'm glad I figured everything out with my professors." I tell her.
Soon the game started and just by the first 10 minutes, I could tell that Spain was going to take the win tonight.
Me and Marc's mom cheer as marc kicks the ball into the net.
We laugh and cheer along with the crowd.

.
.
.

The game was finally over with the score of 2-0. I watch as the Spanish team celebrated their first win of the tournament before heading back into the tunnel.
Me and Marc's mom had made our way down to the pitch along with many other families of the boys.
"Hola! Maria!" I turn around to see Mrs. Paz walk over to a blonde lady. Who I recognized to be Hectors mom. (Idk if that's her real name, I doubt it)
I stood a bit behind as I let the two women catch up because it seems like they haven't seen each other in a while.
I look around the pitch, every time I was down here I realized again how big it actually is. Which always makes me question how someone could run this for 90 minutes a game. I scan around until my eyes up on the stands where a group of girls stood holding jerseys while they laughed and giggled.
I smile softy at their actions. They were probably waiting for one of the players to come out. I snap out of my trance when I see one of the girls trying to wave someone over.
Stupidly I look around because I highly doubt they would were waving me over, but when I see that none of the boys have exited the tunnel yet, I point to myself and they all nod. I rub the pack of my neck nervously, being slightly hesitant to walk over to them because I don't speak or understand Indonesian nor do I speak English, I understand it to a certain extent but that's it. What if they don't even speak English? Then I'm double fucked. I feel bad not going though. Going up to them is so out of my nature-
I shake at myself and start to make my way over. I'm overthinking it. It'll be fine. Just march in there with the few English words you know to communicate. I tell myself.
I smile up at the girls as I reach them, trying to hide the fact that I was extremely nervous. "Hello." One of them tells me. "Hi." I respond in English, rather quietly. Stop being awkward.

The girls look over at each other for a second before looking back at me. "You are Gavi's sister?" Another girl questions.
"Yes." I nod.
They talk to each other for a few seconds in Indonesian before looking back at me. "Sorry, we don't speak English that well." One of them apologies.
I shake my head and smile kindly at them. Well fuck, I'm not sure what to say. Is this how nervous my brother felt when that guy spoke to him in English on live television? Fuck.  I should've payed more attention in English class. I'm going to kill myself. I'm so embarrassed.

One of them hold their phone out and points to the camera. "Foto?" I say in Spanish.
They all nod happily as their all gather in front of the camera, leaving a small spot so it could see me standing on the pitch.
I smile up at the phone. This isn't too bad.
"Thank you!"
I smile at them and wave as I start to walk back over to Mrs.Paz.
I stop in my tracks as I see Marc already making his way over to where I was.
He smiles as we make eye contact and jogs up to me.
"Qué haces?" He asks, pulling me into a hug.
"muriéndome de vergüenza, de puta madre vuelvo a hacer esto." I say.
He burst out laugh at my words before shaking his head. "No, what are you doing here? In Indonesia? What happened to school." He asks holding me tight in his arms.
I open my mouth to say something but the voices of the girls I was just with sound as they try and get Marc's attention.
Marc looks up at them and waves before he looks back at me.
"I'll explain later, go." I tell him.
He nods and leans down pressing a short kiss to my lips.
"Thank you for coming." He says before pulling away.
I smile at him as he walks away.

A/n: I think I might have an ear infection in both ears...