Chapter 13

I awoke to the sound of a man snoring and instantly knew someone must have found me. Heaven definitely wasn't like that. My bed mate stirred and I got pissed. "Michael, get out of here!"

"Don't worry, it's not him. You got an upgrade baby." It was Jaxon. I was so pissed off at Michael that I actually welcomed his company.

"Sorry Jax."

"It's okay babe. I know it's been a long few weeks."

"I'm just worn out. My body aches all over and I feel nauseous occasionally. I'm home sick. I miss our old lives, together."

"Me too actually. I didn't want to bring you here you know. Once I got to know you, I avoided telling my mom anything. But, she found me and I had to give you up. I'm sorry."

"Okay."

"I really am sorry."

I could hear a change in his voice. He sounded sincere enough. And I just needed someone.

"I know you are Jax. I know." I curled up next to him close and held on tight. I missed his touch and gentleness. I knew I should be mad at him for everything but I couldn't be. He was my only reminder of a normal life.

"Mmm Laken, I missed this. You."

"Me too."

We lay together for a while after that talk. No more words, just each other. He and I were in a deep sleep when we both jumped at a loud sound coming from the other side of my room.

"What the hell?"

"I don't know. Jax, what is that? Who?"

"Jaxon, you son of a bitch! Get away from her!"

It was Michael.

"Stay away from her! You sick bastard!"

"How the hell did you get back in here? You belong in a ditch, not interrupting me and Laken!"

"She hates you! You brought her here! Everything that has happened to her is all your fault!" Jaxon got off the bed and told me to stay put. I knew I couldn't.

"Both of you, stop!" I yelled. "Michael, he may be why I was brought here but you are why I am still here! You're a coward! Weak! Jaxon admitted he made a mistake and I understand I can't leave now. If he would try to sneak me away or even ask for me to be left go he would be shunned from his family."

"How can you forgive him and not me? If I told, I would be shunned too! You say I'm weak because of that!"

"No! You're weak because you let this happen!"

"Laken, please. Come on!"

"Stop Michael, just go."

"You heard her dude, you're leaving." Jaxon went over to Michael and shoved him out the door. I was livid. I just wanted to get through the days and having Michael coming in and out of there was not helping. Jaxon was the last thing I had from my old life; I had to hold on to him for as long as possible.

"Babe, I'm sorry." Jaxon said as he made his way back over to the bed. He laid down beside me and pulled me close.

"I know.”

“I’ll make sure he stays away, forever.” He said, gently kissing the top of my head.

The thought of Jaxon or his family doing something to Michael made me cringe. As much as I didn’t want to see him anymore, I didn’t want to think about him dying. He had been good to me. He comforted me when I was at my lowest points and I made it through those first few weeks because of him. I knew that if they killed Michael, it would forever hang on my conscience; something I couldn’t afford to have distracting me. Jax would be mad at me for asking, no demanding, that he not bring any harm to Michael.

“No Jax, you can’t have anything happen to him. Just let him go back to wherever he came from. If he goes missing, people will notice. And then they will ask questions. You and your family can’t afford to have cops snooping around, and plus, Michael is your family Jax. Whether you want to admit it or not, the Jaxon I know would never turn his back on family.”

“But he turned his back on us years ago! And then him coming in here like he’s all holier than thou, trying to figure out a way to get you out of here! You are mine Laken, and no one, especially not my weak ass brother, is going to take you away from me.” The words jumped from his mouth like the venom from a rattlesnake. No hesitation, no remorse. He meant every word. And it scared me a little what he and his family would do to traitors.

“Jaxon, you’re scaring me.” I said as I slowly pulled away from his grasp.

“No, babe I didn’t mean it like that. I’ll make sure no one hurts him if that’s what you want. But he’s never welcome back here, especially not near you. But, sadly, if we let him go back to his home and college, he will likely tell someone and we can’t have that happening. You know that right? You understand that we have a lot of assets here we have to protect.”

I nodded. It made sense, I mean, I was hoping they would let him go but in my heart, I knew it was impossible. I prayed very night that he would grow a bit more affection for me so that he would tell someone and stop what was going on. I was hoping that this time, with him being as pissed as he was, when they let him go he would go straight to the cops and get me the hell out of there.

"I understand. But please, he's just scared. You know he's struggling with a lot. Just, just let him stay here. Give him a room like one of us and just let him live here."

"I'll see what mom, I mean Brenda can do."

"I already know she's your mom. And I know all the rest of you are related in one way or another."

"I know, I just have to keep professional when I'm with an asset, even if it is you." He kissed me on my forehead. "I love you so much Laken, I'm so sorry this all happened to you because of me."

I smiled because I saw the sincerity in his eyes and heard it in his voice. Then I did something I had missed doing for so long; I kissed him, right on the lips. He was surprised I think, at first, because he didn’t reciprocate the action. When I kept going, he kissed back with intensity and longing. Oh how I had missed his kisses, so sweet and tender. I felt his tongue begging for access between my lips that my mouth soon granted. I pulled him in for a deeper, more sensual kiss and I felt his hands roam my body. Without thinking I let him remove my cami and grope my breasts. His touch and kisses were intoxicating, I needed more. I rolled so that I was on top of him and slid off his shirt with one swift move. His abs were so beautifully tanned, just like I remembered. I kissed down to his pelvis and licked my way back up to his neck. I sucked on it a little while I felt his hands holding firmly to my ass. Again, I moved down to his pelvis and stopped right before his pants line.