Chapter 16

*Months later*

It’d been months since the first day I was taken to that hell hole. At my last count I was going on 157 days. Each day got easier though. I eventually got numb to the pain and the rape was just like any other thing that happened there, my new normal. I hadn’t seen either Michael or Jaxon in months and hadn’t seen family in an even longer period of time. I kept thinking about them every day though.

My niece, Jana, would have to have been 3 years old by then; I couldn’t remember her exact birthday but I knew it had to have been a few weeks back. She was my pride and joy. Upon first glance people mistook her for my daughter all the time. Though I didn’t have kids, I considered her one of my own and loved her more than life itself. From the day my oldest brother, Aaron and his fiancé Norah brought her home I knew she would be a light in my life. I babysat her all the time and didn’t bother to ask for money for it. Just being with her made me smile and relieved any and all stress of the day. She just had something about her that made everything better. She was the first person in my life that loved me for me. I could be myself around her and she loved it all up. Don’t get me wrong, the rest of my family wasn’t some judgmental hypocrites who thought I had to be perfect in order to make anything of myself. They just thought that me wanting to be a teacher was noble, not admirable.

I lived in a small farming town where the American flag was the most common accessory. My father was a Sergeant in the Marines and my mom was one of the first women from my town to go to college and then went on to become a pilot for the Air force. I had three big brothers and a twin brother who all went into the military straight out of high school. I was the only one out of my immediate family that wasn’t going on to fight for our country.

As much as I respected the men and women in the military, which I did so much, I never understood the point in getting involved in foreign affairs. We have so many malnourished and illiterate people in the United States; I just wanted to make a difference here. That is why I chose to study elementary education. I wanted to help mold the youth of tomorrow. 

Sitting there reminiscing on old times, I couldn’t help but wonder what they were doing at that time. Were they feeding the animals? Calling friends? Watching their favorite TV shows? Never once did the thought cross my mind that they were still looking for me, or that they had in the first place. I presumed that Jaxon had given them some excuse as to why I hadn’t and wouldn’t return home. On the off chance that his family hadn’t made any excuse for my disappearance, I hoped that they had given up the search by then. I wanted them to move on with their lives and find happiness again. There was no need in ruining their lives for the sake of maybe finding me one day.

My thoughts were interrupted by Jason coming in my room.

“Hey, here are you vitamins and Marshal should be in soon to give you another checkup.”

I smiled. Jason wasn’t really a “bad guy”.  At least not in the usual sense. His mother had brainwashed him to be okay with her business but he still had a heart and was very compassionate.

“Okay Jason. Thanks. Oh, by the way, my clock needs new batteries, could you have Marshal bring some in when he comes please?”

“Yeah, of course.”

“Thank you!”

*25 minutes later*

“Why hello there darling, how are we doing today? I have your batteries right here too. I’ll put them in before I leave.”

“We’re fine Marshal. And thanks but you don’t have to put batteries in for me. I’m not disabled, just   pregnant.” I laughed. He was so sweet. He really did care very much about me and my baby. On that particular day he was going to tell me the sex of my baby. I was thrilled!

“Okay, okay. I know; you and your independence. Okay, so what do you say we get right to business huh? I’m sure you are just as excited about finding out as I am!”

“Hahaha YES!!” 

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

A/N This chapter is short, but VERY important. And thank you all so much for reading. I'm really having fun writing this and and it's good to know I'm at least entertaining a few. =D