Final Chapter

The hardest thing Marshal had ever had to do up to that point was tell Michael that Laken and his brother were dead. It was even harder than watching Laken and Jason die in front of him. But, Marshal knew that someone had to do it and Michael wouldn’t accept it if it came from Jaxon. This way, hopefully, he could lean on Marshal for support and hopefully Marshal could help him understand. Not that he really understood it all himself.

When Marshal got to the training part of the compound he immediately regretted his decision of being the one to break the news to Michael. He had an awful feeling in the pit of his stomach and knew that this was going to tear him apart.

Michael was sitting in a hammock outside reading a book when Marshal found him. He tried to keep the horrified look off of his face for as long as possible. He didn’t want Michael to know that something terrible had happened before he could even begin to explain.

“Uncle Marshal, what are you doing here? I didn’t think anyone had called for medical help,” Michael said quizzically.

“No, no one did. I just had to come out here to talk to you Michael,” Marshal said, trying, and failing, to hide the cracks in his voice.

“Marshal, you’re scaring me. What’s the matter?”

“Michael I – it’s—“

“Marshal, just tell me.”

“It’s about Laken and your brother.”

“Jaxon that son of a bitch! I swear to God if he hurt her I will kill him!”

“No, no not Jaxon, Jason.”

“Oh, umm, what –what is it then?”

Marshal took a deep breath and said, “They are dead.”

The look on Michael’s face didn’t change for a long moment, until he finally processed what was said. His facial expression changed from a look of worry to heartache and dread.

“What –no. I –it can’t be. They –they can’t be d—,” and with that Michael broke into a sea of tears. His hands flew up to his face to hide his weeping but his body betrayed him and showed all the signs that Marshal needed in order to know that he was crying.

“T –tell me everything.”

And Marshal did just that, pretty much without disruption. There was the occasional question from Michael like, why would she do that? or shouldn’t he know better? But other than that and his occasional sniffles, he was silent.

Marshal spent the better part of the rest of the day there with Michael, reassuring him and helping him understand that none of what had transpired was his fault. Michael was very adamant that if he had just passed his stupid training and been there with Laken nothing would have happened.  Marshal tried his hardest to convince him otherwise but it was hard to convince Michael when Marshal wasn’t even sure of the fact. He couldn’t help thinking that if Michael had been there, Laken would have been content and wouldn’t have been looking for something to do and above all else, Jason wouldn’t have been her keeper. What Michael was saying made sense and it pained Marshal to blame him but, was he wrong? It was someone’s fault wasn’t it? Someone had to claim responsibility for what had happened and they surely couldn’t pin it on the two dead people.

After a while, Michael calmed down and asked to be left alone. Marshal obliged by his request and went to check on Jaxon and Lucas. When he found them, he saw Jaxon and the child sound asleep in Jaxon’s bed. It was enough to make anyone cry, especially Marshal, who cried all the way back to his room.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Laken’s Point of View

Well, I bet you didn’t see that coming huh? Me talking to you guys from up here? You all probably thought that I had to be alive since I was the one telling the whole story. Well, I just like to give you surprises. It pains me to know that my son will be in that place, probably for the rest of his life, but I know that Jaxon will do everything he can for him. He’s really not the bad guy I may have made him out to be. He has a huge heart and soul and I know he will make me proud. I will keep watch over them, like I am now, making sure that what happened to me doesn’t happen to anyone else. I may not be able to interfere with their lives but I can still be pretty damn convincing from up here. Haha. I’ll probably get in trouble for that cussing later. Oh well, OH and I almost forgot to mention my family, back home. It turns out that they never stopped searching for me. As a matter of fact, they still look for to the this day, even though it is almost a year since my disappearance. They don’t suspect that Jaxon or his family had anything to do with it, but I think that one day, or at least I hope so, they will find out the truth.

And speaking of truth, I heard everything Zane said about our mother. I know he will be forever haunted by the thought of me not knowing, but I try hard every day to make it hurt a little less for him. And as for Jason, I haven’t seen him up here yet. We’ve only been here a few months though so I am hoping that I get to see him and thank him for all that he did for me. I just hope that he is up here somewhere and not lost down below. He may have committed a sin but it was in the name of love and I hope that our savior forgives him.

I know the journey has been rough, and at one point, I even thought I was going to get out of there. And I guess, in a way, I did. I am up here, watching down over my beautiful baby boy. Watching him get so big. But with watching over him comes watching what that bitch Brenda puts him through. It’s small stuff now, and so it’s bearable to witness, but when it gets really bad, I am afraid I will not be able to be there for him. I guess we will see what comes. All I know now is that I am no longer afraid. And that is the greatest feeling in the world.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

A/N Well ladies and gents, there it is! The final chapter! I know it sucks, like really bad. But I am still trying to make it perfect for you guys. I just wanted to get this to you because I know some have been getting restless. I know it is really short, sorry, but I really did have a terrible time writing it. So, as we speak, I am working on making it better. The smae basic things will be in there it will just be a bit more detailed (hopefully). 

So that's what i am aiming for, I am not sure when, or if, I will be able to make it be any better but if I do I'll make sure to let you know!

BIG ANNOUNCEMENT!

I am going to write a sequal to this, I am not sure what I will call it or when it will be realeased, but it is going to be about Lucas and Jaxon and their new journey together as father and son and what they have to endure at the ruthless hands of Brenda. It will likely be weeks, if not months until the first update, because i like to have at least the first half of the story done so I know basic plot and such before I go posting and screwing something up. 

Stay tuned for more updates!!!!!!! =) LOVE YOU!