~ 18 ~

Author's POV:

Author's POV:

After a few days, Surya was going upstairs to his room, whistling when his eyes fell on the open door of his grandparents. He stopped there, peeped inside, and saw his grandma seeing an album. He slowly tiptoed inside and hugged her from behind.

"What are you doing, my beautiful?" Surya asked, pecking her cheeks.

"Nothing. I'm just going through some old albums," said Laxmi.

"Where is our Hitler?" asked Surya.

Laxmi chuckled and said, "He went to meet an old friend of his and won't return for two hours."

Surya kissed her cheeks and said, "That's good news, honey."

"Why are you so afraid of him?" asked Laxmi.

"I'm not afraid of your husband, okay?" said Surya.

Laxmi looked at him, raising her eyebrow, and asked, "Oh! Is it?"

Surya gave her a sheepish smile and said, "A little," showing his fingers.

Laxmi laughed and pulled his cheeks, listening to him while he sulked.

"How did you marry that Hitler, Nanamma?" asked Surya.

Laxmi smiled and said, "He is a sweet and cute Hitler."

Surya looked at his grandmother in disbelief and said, "Seriously?? Only you, your DIL, and your granddaughter find him sweet and cute."

Laxmi shook her head and said, "You may not understand it, Surya. But let me tell you something. He is the best thing that happened in my life. He let me continue my studies after our marriage, encouraged me to do a job, and helped me face the world confidently. My father wanted me to get married as soon as I finished 10th grade. Though my father had enough money to afford my studies, he thought, What would a girl do by pursuing higher studies? Anyway, she has to be at home, taking care of the family after the marriage. Your grandfather is my cross-cousin. Our parents fixed our marriage when we were kids. Your grandfather is very ambitious. He kept a condition to my father that he would marry me if I completed my graduation. I always love studying, and your grandfather knows that. So, my father let me pursue my graduation. When I joined graduation, your grandfather had cracked the civil service examination by then and went for the training. After he returned from the training, he was posted to Chennai. As he was an IPS officer, he started to get many marriage proposals. My parents felt insecure, but I knew that your grandfather wouldn't break his promise to marry me. Because of the pressure from families, we got married at the end of my first year. After our marriage, he asked me to continue my studies, which I did. I was pregnant with your father when I was writing my final exams. And after two years, I was pregnant with your Chinnanna. He made study masters privately. When Manohar turned two, your grandfather asked me to do a job. I was sceptical about it and didn't want to leave my children and go to work, but he was firm with his decision. Moreover, I was afraid, as I didn't have any prior experience. But he and my Attamma assured me. He helped me come out of my fears. After a few months, I started to work as a lecturer. My Attamma used to look after your father and Chinnanna in my absence. I used to make sure that I spent enough time with my family. As the years passed, he got busy with his work, and sometimes he wouldn't even come home for a few days."