Singing Drunkard//Newt

Prompt: Newt hides his feelings from you until one night he gets drunk and uses it to courageously confess. 

Are you Track-Hoe's getting your jobs done?" Newt yells over the top of the casual conversations between you "track-hoes". A few murmurs sound through the crowd of busy workers, telling Newt that they are, in fact, getting the jobs done. You start to wonder, however, why Newt is acting so... formal. He never "checks up" on you and the other Gladers. But he comes over anyway and starts polite talk. Even gives some of the workers a hand.

"How about you, Y/N. You think you'll be finished by dinner?" His chest is a little puffed out and his usual playful brown eyes turn serious. Is something else going on behind that "manly" face of his?

A few Gladers to your right let out a chuckle, Newt narrows his eyes at them but before he can start something you interrupt, "I'm doing just fine, Newt." You stick your shovel into the ground, "You okay? Seem a little... too focused."

He blinks, his chest lets out a little air as it deflates. "I –uh, Alby." His eyes light up, "Yeah, Alby wants me to look up on each job now and then since there are a lot more Gladers than before." And for some reason, you don't find this reason very convincing.

"Alright..."

"Oh, and a tip with these shovels is to clasp your hands here," He points to a certain spot along the shovel, "and here." Another spot.

You keep yourself from giving him a weird look but instead decide to play with him a little because of the weird way he's acting. "Can you show me again?"

"Mhm." He takes your hand into his rough, dirtied ones and places it along the stick, then the other is placed down too. "This way, you can move the shovel deeper into the ground easily." You stifle a giggle, he placed your hands in the exact same position as they were before.

"Thanks Newt." You almost let out a laugh but manage to keep it in, you feel the other Gladers' stares on you two. He lets go of your hands, and the shovel, waves a little goodbye before leaving the Gardens and you watch as he sort-of struts away.

As soon as he is out of earshot, you say, "Wonder what's up with him..."

A Track-hoe, Garry, next to you pipes up, "It's actually kind of obvious, to be honest."

You turn your head and look at Garry, Sam and Jared. "What?"

They look at each other, amusement in their eyes. "Y/N, he's obviously got the hots for you."

"Pfft," You dismiss it with a wave of your dirtied hand. "I seriously doubt that. And why would he talk all... formal to me like that if he "has the hots for me". He's probably got something else going on..."

"Oh come on, Y/N. It's clear as day!" Sam protests.

"He might act formally to you so we don't suspect anything." Garry continues.

"He didn't care how we were going, he only wanted an excuse to talk to you, Y/N." Jared says with a chuckle.

"But Newt always asks how everyone's going..." You counter, and for some reason, you don't even know why you're completely dismissing the idea. It wouldn't be so bad... You and Newt; right?

"Yeah but not like a bloody shuck-face!" Sam replies and all three of them break out into a chorus of laughter.

"Hey, Y/N?" Zart comes up behind you and you turn around to listen to what he has to say. "Mind if you could go help Newt out with collecting more fertiliser?"

Nerves grab at your stomach, by yourself? With Newt? After what the boys said... You feel a little bit excited for some odd reason. But you rationalise your thoughts, Newt is just a thoughtful, caring person. He probably has something else on his mind. "Sure I can."