Friends//Newt

Prompt: Y/N is not only the first girl to arrive in the Glade but she also cannot speak any English, so Newt being the protective person he is, takes her under his wing immediately.

Terror is an understatement to describe what you're experiencing right now. You can't quite comprehend that you're trapped inside a rusted, cool metal cage, flying upwards to who the hell knows. But it isn't just the rattling cage that makes you uneasy, it's your mind. You don't know to whom you belong. You don't know whose body you're currently inside, it's like you've been stolen from your home and squished into a foreign place and forced to call it home-sweet-home. It's either that or someone stuck their grotty fingers into your mind and violated it, ripping out all your memories, all your past thoughts; your identity.

You decide to curl yourself into a ball with the hopes that your memory will come back. With the side of your face pressed against the cool metal floor of the cage, you think to yourself. You count from one to ten and then from ten to one. After that, you count in threes, fours, and fives in desperation that knowing at least something will calm your anxiety. After a while, you pull up a name, Y/N, but somehow it doesn't feel right; not exactly. But it's the only concrete thing you know about yourself. You decide to stick with it and hope for the best.

Finally, after being curled up for who knows how long, the cage slows down and comes to crawl as it heaves itself up a few more metres before scraping to the top, only just whacking against the lid of a thick concrete roof. Instead of jumping to your feet, you stay curled in your self-protective ball and try to keep your breathing steady and calm. You have to keep calm, you tell yourself, panicking only makes it worse.

You hear the concrete slide, the cage doors open and your breath hitches. You screw your eyes tightly shut as you hear the presence of people; you feel their violating stares burn into you. You hear their voices whisper and mutter but none of the words that tumble out of their mouths make sense; it's all garble. Where on Earth are you?

Something gentle brushes against your shoulder, your muscles tighten and your fingers curl into fists. Your heart races as someone, or something, coaxes your head from out of its protective shell. In a panic, your eyes flick open and you stare into a pair of gorgeous, soft brown eyes.

The brown eyed boy's mouth opens and he says something in a language you've never heard of before, or at least, don't remember. You watch as the way his mouth mechanically moves, forming each word; the way his tongue flicks and his throat vibrates as he produces the sounds. But that's all they are to you; sounds. You know not one thing that escapes his lips and it only makes you feel all the more terrified, all the more lonely.

Soon his eyes change from soft, welcoming ones to worried, concerned ones. His voice becomes almost questioning, is he asking a question, you wonder? Is he asking why you do not understand his gentle sentences of greetings? Maybe he's not all that welcoming, maybe you should run for it or attack him. But then again, what has he done to provoke that?

Soon, another boy jumps into the cage, his mouth opens too, but this time it's slower and more refined. Careful. He stares at you expectantly but you only shake your head.

Knowing that you will not get absolutely anywhere with these people, you decide to stand onto your feet; cautiously making your way up straight. You wobble slightly but that is soon diminished as you grip onto the brown-eyed boy's arm for support. "Thank you." You whisper, but they only look back at you in a confused manner. You're words are not like theirs.

The other boy with dark hair and dark skin gives a slight nod to the first boy before he makes his way out of the cage and into the unknown world above. You look over at the brown-eyed boy cautiously, your hand still clasped around his wrist.

He looks back at you, first interested and curious but soon his gaze softens and with his free hand he points to himself, directly into the middle of his chest, and says, "Newt."

You screw your eyebrows together and decide that maybe he's introducing himself.

"Newt."

You open your mouth before he can repeat it again and try this foreign word onto your tongue, it's almost like tasting a new-selling candy without any reviews or knowledge about what it would taste like. You thought it would be difficult but the word slips from your mouth with ease. "Newt."

He smiles and nods before tilting his head to the side in a questioning manner, you watch as his hair flops with his head; a few strands decide to sit in front of his eyes. He points to you.

"Y/N." You reply, your thumb pressed into your chest.

"Y/N." He says, and although his accent is strange he still manages to pronounce your name exactly right. You smile.

After the introductions, he finally leads you outside of the cage. The first thing you see in the outside world is a large crowd of boys, all staring at you with piercing eyes; it frightens you. You don't like to be stared at. You feel the heat rise to your cheeks and you hide behind Newt, letting go of his wrist and instead placing your hands on the top of his back just below his neck; in between his shoulders.

He shouts something out and the crowd groans, gives you one final look and then disperses. You watch as they go into groups and attend to particular things, each different to each group. It amazes you that these people have managed to form a system already. You then start to wonder how long it's been working for.

And are all these people like you? Have they lost their memory? Have they started out with different words too? But then you remember the confusion and concern on Newt's face and realise that you must be the only one with language complications.

Newt turns around, a slight grin lopsided onto his face. Your hands, still hanging in the air, curl into fists before dropping to your sides; the redness in your cheeks disappear. Newt lifts his hand and points to the cage you just came out from, "The Box."

"The..." You look up at him worriedly.

His face, still calm and gentle, "Box." He smiles encouragingly and you smile back.

"Box. The Box." You look over at him expectantly and he nods his head in approval.

Newt then proceeds to lead you around the place and only tells you the important things, you assume. You find out where they sleep, The Homestead, where they eat, by the Kitchens, after you discover the Bathroom you see all the different workplaces situated around the Glade; as Newt calls it.

After repeating the list of different jobs around the Glade for the fifth time, Newt smiles and gives that approving nod of his before slipping you a small object into your hand. You lift it to inspect and Newt chuckles before whispering, "Food." He points to his mouth.

You stare at him suspiciously but decide to bite into the thing anyway. You taste it and feel a sudden feeling of joy because of its familiar taste. You can relate it back to something! It's chocolate! You smile happily and point to the chocolate.

"Chocolate." He says.

"..." You say, and his stare changes from curiosity to some sort of understanding as he hears your language.

He mutters something under his breath, or maybe he doesn't. It sounds that way but probably because you don't understand his language. After he notices you staring at him he looks up and smiles apologetically for speaking without explaining.

After a long day of introductions and tours, you both finally find a spot to rest for the night before going to bed. You stare up at the sky, expecting to see stars but you're disappointed to see nothing but a black abyss.

Suddenly, Newt turns to you and points to you and then to himself. "..." He says, but you miss the word so you look at him expectantly until he repeats the word that seemingly joins the two of you together, "Friends."

"Friends." You repeat and then point to you and him; he nods. The word is nice on your tongue, you speak it with ease unlike some of the things you've learnt today. It must mean some form of unity or friendship, you wonder. You like that he's said that because soon all the uncertainty and loneliness leave you.

"Friends."