Comfort//Newt

Prompt: Y/N and Newt have switched roles, you are Second in Command and he is the Greenie. 

WARNINGS: Suicide mention and character spoilers if you have not read ALL of The Maze Runner series (excluding the prequels). 

You limp over to the Gardens while carrying a bucket of new sprouts and things to be planted into the Glade's grounds. You struggle with carrying it though and as soon as you pass a few Gladers, they rush to your aid. But being the proud girl you are, you dismiss them, "No thanks. I can do it."

You grunt as you continue walking, occasionally stopping to rest. But the Gladers whisper behind your back, making you feel slightly self-conscious. You start to think that it's your decision whether they want help or not, right? You're the one with the limp so you dismiss their banter and get on with your work.

"Y/N!" A voice calls and you stop abruptly. "Need some help?" It's Newt, you can tell by the voice and his manner of speaking.

"No, I'm fine." You keep yourself from rolling your eyes, it's not his fault he's trying to be nice. But sometimes... It just gets a bit too much. "I can handle a bucket."

"Okay." He mumbles and follows you to your destination. You drop the bucket onto the ground with a soft thunk by the new patch of dug up earth. "Mind if I help?" He's still here?

You drop to your knees, "Nope." You're not a very social person and you try to avoid as many of the Gladers as possible on a day-to-day basis. Not because you don't like them... it's just an effort. An effort that isn't required. They keep to themselves and you keep to yourself; no harm done.

You grab a handful of sprouts and shove them into the dirt. Then you tighten the dirt around the sprouts but accidentally brush across Newt's pale fingers as he copies your technique. Your hand flies back a little too quickly and you hide your embarrassment by tipping your head down, your hair covers your reddening face.

"So... Just out of curiosity..." Newt says as his fingers reach deeper into the earth, "How'd you get that limp?" He grabs another handful of sprouts but before he pushes them into the dirt, he looks up at you, his brown eyes filled with curiosity but also seriousness.

"I –it happened a while ago." You state firmly, screwing up your mouth in an even line. You don't really want to get into discussion with someone who only came to the Glade a few months ago.

But Newt seems unsatisfied with your answer, "Yeah but... how?" His voice is soft; gentle. He must have picked up that something serious had happened to cause the limp by the tone of your voice and choice of words and you start to feel frustrated with him. Isn't it obvious you don't want to talk about it? Your hands shake as you try to dig out a new patch of earth, you know he's expecting an answer; but what do you say? Should you lie?

You chuck your shovel beside the new vegetable patch and stand up forcefully before immediately limping away. You feel tears swell in your eyes and you try to blink them away but they spill down your cheeks in a never-ending flow of pain and suffering. You crumple to the floor and hold your face in your hands, the sobs rack your body. Your chest heaves. You thought you were over this –this crying business.

A hand presses against your shoulder, the touch feels foreign. "Y/N, I'm so bloody sorry... I didn't mean..." His sentence finishes as he's lost for words. His eyes look sad and guilty; he frowns.

You shake your head, "Don't be sorry." You wipe the tears off of your face and your voice becomes grim; solemn. "I... this Maze wrecked me up real bad. I tried to fight it, I really did. But... I guess I lost –or I almost did." You gulp your nervousness down, isn't it time you talked about that incident? To let all of these bottled up emotions out? You come to a point of not even caring that he's only been here a few months, that you barely know him. You know it's time to spill and he's willing to listen. "I jumped off one of the Maze Walls because I wanted this –this madness to finally end." You don't look him in the eye, instead you just wait for his response; like a ticking time-bomb.

"I'm so sorry you had to go through that by yourself." Newt says quietly as he wraps you up in a comforting, protective blanket of him. You don't hug him back. Instead your fingers clutch onto the front of his shirt and you nestle your head in his chest. Your tears finally come to an end and no words are spoken from either mouths. Instead, you just bathe in the silence which isn't awkward but strangely comforting.

"I'm sorry." These words do escape your lips, but just barely. Like a whisper in the wind.

You notice Newt's wet eyes, he'd been crying... for you? "For what?" He croaks out and then swallows, you watch as his Adam's apple bobs up and down. You feel how his heart races faster as your fingers accidentally brush against the top of his shirt, on his skin.

"I'm sorry it had to be you that I broke down on." Your voice is drowned in guilt.

Newt hugs you tighter, his bare arms that protrude from his shirt show the defined arm muscle, the dirt from gardening all day long smudges along his pale skin. "I'm glad it was me... I feel like I know you a little bit more now." He lets go of his comforting hug and slides his hands up onto both of your shoulders, "I want you to come to me every time you're feeling bloody horrible, okay?"

You nod your head weakly and his touch disappears, leaving you feel naked and vulnerable. So instead you slide your arms around his stomach and hug him with as much comfort and eagerness as he had with you. He feels surprised at first but you feel him smile. He wraps his arms around your neck, his hands come to touch the back of your head.

"Thank you."