Fighting For You//Newt

Prompt: Somebody at school says something inappropriate about you, and Newt retaliates – quite violently...

You weren't one to shy away from people, you could make friends at the drop of the hat and easily hold a conversation with most. Something both you and Newt had in common; befriending those around you without judgement or criticism. So when you heard the shouts and cries from within a circle of boys and girls at school, two in the middle pounding into each other with so much force and anger, you were utterly shocked to see it come from your friend, Newt.

That morning you walk through the halls with only a few of your friends, looking for the rest of your little group, when your friend Teresa decides that you should all check the track team on the oval. You follow Teresa, Brenda and Newt out to the oval and soon spot Minho and Thomas after their morning practice.

Teresa kisses Thomas on the cheek as a welcoming hello, and you find Newt rolling his eyes over at you and their sudden intimacy; you stifle a laugh and instead wave over Minho, who seems to appreciate you guys over the couple.

"Practice okay?" You try to make a little small talk to avoid the awkward scene between Teresa and Thomas.

Minho pushes back his hair from his face, the sweat on his forehead and neck gathering in small droplets, "It was good, other than Thomas' whining about missing Teresa," he laughs.

Newt frowns, "You're kidding? They literally came to school together!"

Minho and Newt start laughing, and you can't help but join in too. Brenda seems to smile mischievously, not wanting to be caught out teasing her other friends.

Minho slings his bag over one shoulder before resting a hand on your arm, "Seriously though, I need you to save me form them. Come to practice more often so I'm not left to third wheel with them in the car ride home."

You flash your teeth with a wide smile, "I'll give you a maybe on that, not sure if I could put up with being in the same car as those two, either."

Minho shakes his head, "Okay, well, you can just come pick me up then?"

"Fine," you sigh, "I'll save you more often, promise."

"I'll see you later then."

You watch as Minho escapes to the boys' shower rooms, and then turn back to Newt and Brenda who seem to be thinking the same thing: both with raised, questioning eyebrows and focused eyes. You only laugh it off.

"Am I missing something?" Newt asks, coming by your side as you three walk down towards your next classes, "some sort of mysterious night with some mysterious guy... Minho?"

You shake your head, "No way," you hide the blush on your cheeks, almost humiliated that Newt of all people would bring up this topic of conversation. And here you thought your likeness towards Newt was completely obvious. "Minho's just a friend."

"Then what was that, planning a friendly date?"

"Hey," you nudge him in the side playfully, "Friends only. Besides, I can't say no to someone victim to Thomas and Teresa's... you know, thing."

"I'm surprised, really," Newt gives you a bit of side eye, "You know. That you're not dating anyone. Literally everyone has a crush on you."

You roll your eyes, "Okay, sure."

"They do! I swear, I here 'em talking about you all the time, it gets so annoying."

"Oh yeah, what do they say?"

He puts on a lighter, dramatic voice, "Oh Y/N is so beautiful, I wish she would notice me! Oh, if only I could ask her to prom! Ohhhh, what a glorious angel she—