Confessions of a Worried Shank//Newt

Prompt: Newt has been acting strange of late, nervous and anxious about something. Y/N don't think nothing much of it until Minho makes a big deal out of it... making her curious. 

"Y/N! Over here!" Newt shouts and you see him sitting on a picnic table with Minho, Alby and Thomas.

You walk over there, plate in hand, and you see an empty spot next to Minho so you casually slide in, setting your dinner plate on the table's surface. Newt looks up at you, slightly disappointed. "I saved you a spot next to me..."

You raise an eyebrow, "I'm sure it won't matter if I sit next to Minho."

Newt turns grumpy, "Fine. I was just trying being nice."

"Oh come off it, Newt! Can't have her all to yourself." Minho interrupts, a smirk on his lips. Thomas and Alby join in too, and suddenly everyone is smirking at a now blushing Newt; except you. You have absolutely no idea what's going on.

"Am I missing something here?" You ask, a little worried for your fellow friends' mental health.

"Ask Newt." Minho says confidently while the other two agree. Newt only glares.

"Oh...kay?" You turn your attention to Newt, "What-

Newt grabs his plate and leaves the table, leaving you in mid-sentence. As if he just got up and walked away! That's not the Newt you know... You take a quick look at the others; they all seem disappointed. But why?

***

You take your now empty dinner plate and slip it in with the rest of the dirty dishes. Then you take one look at the mound of grotty, food coloured dishes and feel bad for just walking away from it without helping. You were one of the many to dirty a plate.

"Frypan..." You lean against one of the steel benches in the Kitchen, "Can I help out with anything?"

Frypan grunts, "You're the only Glader to offer to help, ever." He chucks a dish-cloth into a wash basket by the backdoor of the Kitchen. "But you're a Gardener, you work in the Gardens."

"But-

"No buts," He shoos you out of the door, "Now off you go and enjoy the bonfire. Us Cooks we'll be out in no time, don't you worry your shank butt about us, okay?"

"Alright, alright..." You walk away from the Kitchens and approach the bonfire in no time. Groups of Gladers are situated around it and you can feel the heat even from a few meters away. The sky above is dark, but clear as always. The air seems crisp and cool, until you reach the bonfire.

"Y/N!" Minho calls out and you holler back. "Nice night for a bonfire, eh?"

You nod your head, and you see Newt beside Minho, looking a little terrified. Is something wrong? Did something happen to him? These thoughts start to fill your brain and you can feel the anxiety tug at your mind but before you can ask, your thoughts are interrupted. "Newt's got something to say, haven't you?"

Newt's cheeks redden slightly and he stutters out a, "N-no, Minho, I do not. What are you bloody talking about?" Newt tugs at the bottom of his t-shirt nervously.

Minho only laughs, a sly one at that. "Oh, Newt. The night is clear, the air is fresh! Just a bunch of teenagers around a burning fire! Don't you think it's about time you-

"Slim it." Newt growls. "Besides, the night is always clear; you shank. And the air is fresh? We're breathing in smoke!" Newt shakes his head, "And I'm pretty sure I already know fires burn-

Minho looks slightly frustrated, and he takes a sip of weird-smelling liquid before he continues, "Ah, Newt; don't change the subject." He turns to go but quickly gives you a small wink, "I'll leave you two alone."

Is he implying what you think he is implying?

"Bloody slinthead, that one is." Newt huffs, "I think he's had a bit too much of Gally's secret recipe."

"Probably." You mutter as you watch Minho sassily walk away, thinking about what he said.

"So..." Newt pulls you away from your thoughts, "How was... how was Gardening today?"

You give a slightly confused look into his eyes, "Uh... it was great."

"That's –that's good." Newt looks over your head and then behind him; obviously something is up.

"Newt, are you okay?" You take a step closer and rest a hand on the front of his shoulder, "Because you know you can tell me... You do know that, right?"

Newt slips your hand off of his shoulder and you feel a pang of hurtfulness twist in your heart, "Yeah –yeah I know." But his voice seems vague, he seems distant. Did he even hear what you said?

"Newt, are you even listening to me?" His eyes don't even bother to look at yours when he mumbles an only just distinctive "yes". And then, suddenly his eyes grow wide and he looks a little bit nauseated. "Newt...?"

"Ayyy," Minho slurs as he stumbles closer to you and Newt, "You two getting cosy I see?"

"Oh get lost, Minho." Newt grumbles.

"Look shank, if you're not going to tell her I will." Minho stumbles closer, something close to anger evident in his voice. "I'm getting sick of seeing you look like you're going to throw up all the time, I hate it when I see you stressing out! Just grow a pair and tell her for shuck's sake."

You turn back to Newt, look him dead in the eye, and say, "Tell me what?"

Minho sneakily runs away before Newt can attack. "I... I've been so bloody shucked up about this for the past month." He shakes his head, "Minho is right." He finally gives you eye contact, all the nervousness and anxiety from before seems to lift. "I...-

"You...?" Your heart races.

"Oh shuck it." In one swift movement, Newt pulls you in and kisses you deeply, passionately. Like he's mixed all of his feelings into this one kiss. The background noises slowly dissolve away. The bonfire's shadows dance merrily on the earthy grass and a cool breeze sweeps around you both. Everything seems –feels slower. The Gladers around you would have bothered you but you're so engrossed in this one action of intimacy that you no longer give a damn about them. Newt's lips are so soft, so gentle and sweet but fiery and passionate. He sighs and his lips brush against yours as he softly speaks, "I bloody love you, Y/N." He shakes his head playfully, "I bloody love the way you smile, the way you laugh. I love your stupid jokes and I love the way you can comfort me when everything is feeling really shitty...I just... I love you."

Once you both pull back, you smile widely and so does his. You lean into his chest, "And I love you."

Suddenly Minho comes up beside you two out of nowhere, "Told you, you had nothin' to worry about, shank."

"Oh slim it." You both say, and then the three of you walk closer to the bonfire and enjoy the rest of the night, together.