Goodbyes//Newt

Prompt: Y/N and Newt walk home together from school for their last time ever.

You stare into your locker, a mountain of horrid textbooks staring back at you. This is the last time you'll ever look into this locker. Good riddance for that since it's a piece of crap anyway. Seriously, you can't even open the damned door without breaking it half off its hinges and it takes about half an hour to lock it up again, you even timed it the last time.

You shove all your textbooks into a plastic bag, you'll probably give them to your younger sibling or maybe you'll just throw them out. As you walk through the school halls you see your past hang out point with Brenda, Newt, Thomas, Teresa and sometimes Minho when he's had enough of training. When you pass the library though, your stomach twists itself. The amount of times you had D&M's in that stupid building hits you hard enough to make you feel sort of sad. You remember the first time, with Newt, you both chose a hidden corner and spoke to each other until the librarian told you both to go to the counsellor.

Passing the cafeteria brings back memories of that one huge food fight which involved practically everyone in the school. You can't remember how it started, you were only a freshmen when it happened, but by the end of it you were covered from head to toe in spaghetti because Newt ditched his whole meal at you with that stupid goofy grin of his. You remember pouring someone's soup onto the top of his head and watched it drizzle down the front side of his body. You smile, that's how you two became friends.

Finally, you exit the building. After dumping your textbooks into your duffle bag, you tug on a jacket and turn back to face the building that you once called a prison. Now it's all just memories. You hate that you feel this way about it, you swore you were never going to become one of those nostalgic people who always felt that high school years were the best ones of someone's life... but now you're not so sure.

"Y/N!"

You turn around and look at the blonde headed boy, you start to remember what he looked like with soup all over his clothes and face. How after you both splashed each other with food he introduced himself quite politely, saying how he'd love to be friends with someone who didn't go tell a teacher what he did and instead retaliated by pouring a whole bowl of soup onto him. You remember grinning back and wondering if he'd be your friend until the very end of it. You guess that's only half true...

"Hey Newt."

He gives you a weird look, "You look... sad. But not a depressing sad just... Don't tell me you're starting to miss this hell-hole."

You pick up your bag and wander over to him and nod, "Sadly... I think I may -no, just get me out of here before I admit it."

He only chuckles and you both walk down the street you always did after that food fight. "Do you remember the time we tricked the P.E teacher into thinking we both had the flu? And then we skipped the double lesson only because we wanted to meet that author that was coming into town."

You smile, remembering the exact feeling of accomplishment when you both snaked around the school buildings, only just missing the eyes of many teachers. "And then we got chased by a mutt who wanted our lunch."

"And you slipped onto your ass and I had to throw my lunch to the dog so he wouldn't chomp off your head, man that scared the living daylights out of me. I don't think I've ever petted a dog since then." Newt chuckles.

You jump to your defence, "Yeah but at least I shared my lunch with you." You remember feeling very guilty for costing Newt his lunch so you chucked half of yours to him and turned away, munching on your sandwich so he wouldn't see you blushing.

"Yeah, you blushed when you gave it to me."

You turn to look at him with a serious eye, "You saw that?" You shake your head, "I thought I turned away just in time..."