Parted Ways//Newt

Prompt: Y/N and Newt break up, and then Y/N finds comfort in Thomas and soon begins dating him... but her feelings for Newt has not vanished.

"You're looking a little gloomy, Y/N." You turn your head to the oncoming voice that belongs to none other than Thomas, one of Newt's best friends. You sigh dramatically and turn back to the view of rows and rows of old, cracked and worn Deadheads, lined against the trees.

"What do you want Thomas?"

He doesn't say anything at first, as if amused by your sudden resentfulness towards him. You know this by the raising of his eyebrow and the small smirk that manipulates his lips. "I want to know why you're looking so sad."

You turn back to him, "Oh I don't know, Thomas. Maybe it's the fact that my memory has been wiped, I've been chucked into a cage full of boys, minus Teresa, and the only way out is through the Maze that changes each night, but hey! Make sure you go in the day! Otherwise you could get a happy little surprise of a fatal sting from a spider-looking creature called a Griever." You roll your eyes and look back out across the grim Deadheads that conveniently seem to match your mood. Why would he even ask? You stop breathing for a moment... did he ask because he suspects something more...?

"I see Newt has rubbed off on you."

"What?" You snap, giving him a ferocious glare from the corner of your eye, you can only just make out his relatively dirty face. He wears a blue shirt with a stain that reminds you of blood and you're suddenly worried, is he about to spring bad news on you? Would it be about Newt?

"Your sarcasm. It sounds very familiar."

"Oh shuck off." You spin yourself around and notice that Thomas is only on a crouch rather than sitting in the grass like yourself. You eye his supposed-blood-stain, "Rough day in the Maze?"

He looks at your face for a moment, you're not entirely sure where he's looking. It makes you self-conscious, it makes you wonder if there's something on your face. Then he shakes his head, his eyes dart around nervously until his lips form words, his voice almost croaks out, "No, no. It's just grape juice."

"Huh. How did you know I was implying blood?"

"Gally asked if it was blood."

"Ah." You nod your head knowingly, of course that curious cat would have asked, he has it out for Thomas; you think.

Thomas moves from his crouched position, his feat scraping against the dirt until he takes a seat beside you. His legs arch upwards and cross over each other at the ankles. He rests his arms over his knees and then he looks at you expectantly, all emotions plain to match his flat tone of voice. "You going to stop avoiding the subject now? What's up?"

At first, you shy away. You never talk to Thomas, and when you do, it was always about Newt. You guess not much will change in this conversation... "It's just your ass-of-a-friend, that's all."

Thomas nods his head slowly while saying, "Ah, I thought at much."

"He -he's so infuriating! He told me he couldn't be with me anymore if I wasn't going to act like I cared! If I wasn't going to "share my emotions and feelings" with him! I'm sorry I find it almost impossible to do that, ugh!"

Thomas's look softens, his blue eyes somewhat comforting, "So you broke up with him before he could, right?"

"Right."

The cool night breeze shuffles your let down hair around your shoulders before biting at your ankles, Thomas's arms spike up goose-bumps but he doesn't seem to care, or notice. "And was that the right decision? Do you miss him?"