I Care//Newt

Prompt: Y/N gets promoted to being a Runner with a strict, harsh trainer: Newt. (This is set back when Newt was also a Runner). 

"Greenie!" A voice calls, and you recognise it as Newt's. You hear his footsteps come closer and closer. Of course he still calls me Greenie.

You roll your eyes, "You do know that there have been at least three other Greenies since me."

"I am aware of that." You hear the cockiness in his voice, see it in his eyes.

"Then why keep calling me Greenie?"

"Because I can. You'll always be a Greenie to me." He says this sweetly, but with a bit of a smirk tugging at his lips.

"Great." You mutter, and keep yourself from rolling your eyes again. And then you suddenly remember that he probably called over at you for a reason. "So what do you want?"

He sighs, "I want many things, Y/N. And only one you can fulfil." You're already tired of his words, his joking.

"Seriously Newt, I'm busy." You gesture to the piles of wood and tools around you, "So do you mind getting straight to your buggin' point?" It's not that you don't like Newt, usually you're thrilled to have his company, but it's just been another drag of a week with Gally bossing you around and commenting on your every move. Being a Builder with Gally as the Keeper is worse than cleaning up klunk. It's tiring.

"Well if you're going to talk to me like a shank then maybe I won't tell you the big news." He huffs, crossing his arms over one another like a child.

You circle around one of your wood piles and choose a worthy plank, "Fine with me."

A few seconds of silence passes by before Newt's voice sounds out to you again. "Alright, alright, I'm sorry for being a slinthead," he holds his hands up like he's turning himself in. "Minho wants to talk to you about... Becoming your new Keeper."

You chuck him a confused glance but your eyes soon widen with shock and you gasp, your hand covering your mouth. "No way!?"

Newt smiles cheerfully, his brown eyes squinting excitedly, "Yes way."

"And that's all you need to know about being a Runner, are you in?" Minho's voice bounces off the walls, a slight grin tugging at his lips. You nod your head up and down enthusiastically and he claps your welcome along with all the other Runners that had gathered to hear the same news. Soon after your welcome, everyone gives you a slap on your back, and then Minho leads you over to a cupboard and opens it up: revealing boxes of shoes. "Now, I'm pretty sure all of these shoes are for men... So just take whatever fits best."

You choose a black pair with a slight yellow tinge to the edges, they're a bit dirty and only slightly worn in, and definitely not the best looking pair, but as Minho said, you take the pair that fits best. Then after you put your shoes on and tie the laces up, Minho hands you a plastic wristwatch. You look up at him, you're eyebrows slightly lifted. "How else did you think we always got back into the Glade in time for those walls to close?" You clasp the watch around your wrist and only now just notice that it is digital. Quicker to read, I suppose. Once you stand up again, Minho leads you over to the other side of the room, "Here we have you a backpack." He hands you the bag, "Inside that you'll be keeping these." He continues to hand you other things like a lunchbox and water bottles. "Then," he hands you a few new t-shirts and shorts, "These are your running clothes."

"No need for you to take a pair of our Runnie-undies." Ben says, laughing hysterically. You see Newt crack a grin but Minho only rolls his eyes. Whatever the joke was seemed to be lame to him.

"Alright boys, keep yourselves calm about the undies." Minho shakes his head as he chuckles, "Now we get to the serious stuff." You follow Minho into a smaller room, after he removes a pile of boxes you see a secret door leading deep into the ground. A basement.