The Date//Newt//Part 2

PART TWO

You pull up in the carpark along the beach just like Newt said, and you both pull your shoes off; leaving them in the car. The sand is soft between your toes, and the crashing waves is somewhat peaceful. You're not usually one to sink into your surroundings like this, but it's nice.

"So... how did you like that dancing huh?"

You giggle into your sleeve, "It was... interesting. I had fun."

"Okay, good, because I was scared you would be mad when I told you that I purposely told them beforehand to pick you and me up like that."

You immediately turn to him, your mouth hanging open. "What!?" You playfully slap his arm, "I cannot believe you!"

"Hey! You're not supposed to be mad!" He laughs, pushing you ever so slightly, but somehow you manage to trip because you're clumsy like that. Especially on the lose sand with exhausted feet from dancing all night.

Newt falls down beside you, "Are you really mad?"

You laugh, "No, I'm not. It really was fun."

He smiles, "I'm glad."

"So..." You lean back on your elbows, the wind blowing the edges of your dress, "You talk to your band yet?"

He leans back beside you, his dress shirt sleeves rolled up to his elbows, "Yeah, they said it's all good to go." He turns to you, "Actually, they're quite passionate about ridding you of that disgusting sport uniform."

"Oh ha-ha."

He laughs again, "What's the deal with that anyway?"

You look over at him, "I have no idea. All I know is that generations before us have been begging and begging to change the colours, but no one cared."

"So you're like, a good runner then?"

I raise an eyebrow, "I suppose, I train every morning."

Newt looks at you with inquisitive, big eyes, "Oh really? Then how about..." Suddenly he picks himself up from the sand and starts running down the beach, "You race me!"

You immediately jump up too and run as well, "You're such a cheater!" But soon you pass him, enough to declare that you've won. You stop and take a breather, and watch as he catches up; only now do you realise his limp.

He notices you looking at his leg, "I was so not cheating, I'm obviously disabled so of course I needed a head-start."

"I'm... I'm sorry, I didn't-

He shakes his head and places his hand on your shoulder, "It's okay, seriously." He then lies down on the sand, so you lie down beside him. You both start to make sand-angels but you can't stop thinking about his limp.

"How... How'd you get it anyway?"

He turns to you, you both stop imprinting your backs into the sand, "Get what?"

"Your limp."

"Oh!" He glances down at his leg for a moment and then turns his head up towards the sky, the stars twinkling in his brown eyes. You see him concentrate for a moment, the fly-away hairs dancing as the wind picks up. "I..." He faces you again, "It's complicated."

You blush from embarrassment, "Sorry, I didn't mean to-

"No, no, it's okay." He pauses and rubs his nose, "I just... I'm not really ready to talk about it freely yet and... well, I don't want to lie to you either."

You smile at him, "It's okay, I understand."

You both turn up to look at the starts shining in the night sky, and you feel the glove covering his palm wrap around your almost numb hand. "I really liked tonight."