13. REACT

Jeff woke up to the sound of the front door closing. He got up quickly. Who could it be? He walked into the living room...it was Alan.

-Hi, sorry...did I wake you up?-he was putting some things away in the kitchen.

Jeff had totally forgotten about Alan's presence in his house and certainly didn't think he would still find him there at nine in the morning. Why hadn't he gone back to his house?

-No...-

-I went to get you some groceries to fill the fridge, I didn't want to wake you up. I also made breakfast. Here...-Alan handed him a plate with warm bread, ham, cherry tomatoes and then a glass of orange juice.

-Thanks...you didn't have to...really-

-Don't worry, I did it with pleasure-

Alan goes back to arranging things in the refrigerator and Jeff sits down at the table to eat.

"If you don't want me to send the video, you have to do something for me"-the message from the night before comes back to him. He still hadn't responded. He didn't want to do that. He wanted the whole mess to end.

-Alan...- he said in a low voice. He didn't know what he wanted to say to him either.

-Tell me...- he turned around suspicious of Jeff's tone of voice.

-Well...- he lowered his gaze to the toast, not daring to look him in the eye. He really wanted to tell everything that was happening, to have someone's help, to have someone tell him everything would be all right. He really wanted to tell Alan the truth.

-Nothing...it doesn't matter- fear still wins out.

-What is it, Jeff?- he asks doubtfully.

Jeff wanted it all to end but he was not going to show that video to either Alan or his brother. At that moment the only solution that could get him out of that situation, without letting anyone find out about it, crossed his mind.

-Thanks for breakfast, you are really very kind- he finally said to make up for it.

He took out his cell phone and typed, "Tell me what."

A few moments later the answer came back to him: "My house at 6 p.m."

There was only one way that could allow Jeff to get out of that situation and not have to ask anyone for help...delete that video. Delete it from all devices, including Jesse's. He didn't want to go back to that house, he didn't know what Jesse wanted him to do, but it was the only way to find the recordings and possible copies of that video and he would do anything to get that problem out of his life.

Alan left late in the morning and Jeff went out to lunch with Charlie, as promised the day before. The day passed quietly; he was almost happy.

-Charlie, I have to go now-

-I thought we were going to have dinner together-

-I know, sorry. I have to finish a project for the university, it's very important. I'll see you tomorrow at the garage. So sorry-

-That's okay, don't worry about it. Good luck with the project. See you tomorrow-

The two parted ways. Jeff took a cab and had it drop him off in front of Jesse's house.

It had been months since he had last been there. He hated that place and just being there made him anxious. He felt trapped. It could have been dangerous to go back in there. But if he wanted to get it over with, this was his chance.