16. CONSEQUENCES

-Jeff! Jeff, wake up, please!- Alan was screaming in tears, supporting Jeff's body.

-What's going on....Alan....Jeff....- meanwhile, Charlie had also reached the apartment, followed by Babe. He had become alarmed the moment he saw all those people crowding outside his brother's door. When he entered, he was unable to say anything, immobilized by the sight of Jeff on the ground covered in blood.

-Call....Babe....call....call an ambulance- he managed to string a sentence together, before he too rushed to Alan's side.

-It's not possible....-

-Why didn't I get there sooner?

-Why didn't he tell me anything?-Charlie was repeating these things to himself as he walked around the room agitated and with his hands in his hair.

-If I find Jesse, he'll regret it, I'll make him pay....- Alan had burst out in anger.

-How can you be sure he did it?-

-I just know- saying this he headed for the exit door.

-Stop! What are you going to do, Alan?-Charlie stopped him.

-Make him pay for it! He can't get away with it like that. You saw that video, too! And now this! He has to pay for what he did!-he tried to break free from Charlie's grip.

-Don't be stupid! I know he did it too, but there is no proof. You can't see the faces of those people in the video and from the voices, they are not recognizable-

-I can't stand still! You are his brother, you should want revenge too!-

-I know, I'm his brother! Don't think I don't care about him! But by doing so, you only risk being arrested. Do you think the police will believe your version!? Yours is just a hunch, but they need proof. Do you think that when Jeff wakes up and knows that you were arrested for punching Jesse, he will feel better? I think it would make him feel even more guilty!- Charlie shouted in one breath.

-Then I'll go to the police, I don't care, but I have to do something!

-Jesse's family has several contacts, even within the police. They would close the case without doing too much investigation, it would be useless-.

-Then what should we do!' Stand still and do nothing?!!....-

A background noise hummed in his ears. His head ached. He felt so tired....he wanted to keep sleeping....but those voices...why were they making all that noise? He could not open his eyes properly, he could only see a few glimmers of light, but they bothered him. The voices, from simple murmurs began to become clearer, he could make out some words, and most of all he was beginning to understand that they were screams. Why couldn't they go scream somewhere else?

He tried to move an arm, he wanted to cover his eyes. He couldn't. It was as if he was being held down by something. He tried to open his eyes, the light was really bothering him. He was able, however, to make out some images of where he was. At first he thought he was tied up, perhaps a rope or a chain....his pulse had increased, he was afraid. But then he realized that it was actually simple fabric. It did not hurt and was not too tight, he simply could not move his arm. He was thirsty, his throat was burning. How long had it been since he had had a drink? He tried to move his head. The screams faded in an instant. He heard murmurs, footsteps....

-Jeff....Jeff.... can you hear me?

That voice, it was close, he recognized it....Charlie?

-Jeff, how do you feel?-