37. SEARCHES

Alan had just managed to fall asleep despite worrying about Jeff still outside. A few moments seemed to have passed when suddenly his eyes opened wide. He had heard something...or maybe it was just his imagination, maybe a dream. He forced himself back under the covers.

CRAC

Alan jumped up sharply. This time it was not his imagination, he had heard it. And it certainly wasn't the storm outside, it was coming from inside the house. He dressed and quietly walked out of the room to the living room. But just as he faced out the door, he was caught off guard by three men who jumped on him, trying to block him.

-Let go of me! Ahhh!!- Alan tried to wriggle and throw punches at whoever came within range but he could see nothing and was alone.

He managed to break free from their grip and thought for a moment that he could escape, but a sharp pain in his head hit him before he could take even a step. His legs could not support him and he fell unconscious to the ground.

TWO HOURS LATER...

Jeff had just parked outside the entrance. It was still raining outside. He got out of the car and ran toward the entrance followed by Charlie.

-Why is the door open?!- Jeff began to get seriously worried as soon as he saw the front door only ajar.

Then he ran inside turning on the lights in all the rooms he passed through.

-Alan!-

-Alan! Where are you!?-he began screaming at the top of his lungs.

-Maybe he's just...-Charlie began. But he froze as he saw his brother standing motionless before him and staring at a spot on the ground.

-Alan...- Jeff was about to burst into tears. On the ground just outside the bedroom was a pool of blood.

Charlie ran up to him and hugged him.

-Alan...where is Alan?-

-Jeff, Alan is not here, maybe the same men who were looking for the two of us took him. But if they took him, though, that means he's alive, maybe he's okay...-

-The blood...-the tears began to flow down his cheeks.

-It's not that much, maybe he's hurt, but Alan is strong, I'm sure he's fine-.

-We must...we must find him...we must...-

-Call the others-

Charlie made a round of calls, and although it was late at night, eventually everyone answered, and hearing the story from the two on the phone, it didn't take long to reach them at Alan's house.

-What the hell happened?- asked Babe.

-They took Alan. They tried to hurt Jeff and me, too, but we managed to get away...-

-Who could have done it?-

-You want my opinion? In my opinion it's still that crazy ex of yours, Jeff- said North.

-Jesse? But...he...-Jeff was speechless. In fact, who else could have hated them so much? Who else would have had a reason to do that thing?

-I'm sure he's looking for revenge. Whatever he's planning to do, we need to find Alan as soon as possible-.

-How do we do that? Do we go to his house and knock on the door?- replied Sonic.

-I am prepared to do that if necessary, have you seen what that madman is willing to do?