32. TRUTH (PT. 2)

It was early in the morning when Jeff woke up. Thinking about what the woman had told him the night before, he felt a huge weight on his chest. He paced back and forth throughout the apartment trying to think about what to do.

It was impossible...it couldn't happen to him of all people...it couldn't...but if it had really happened...he couldn't just sit around and hope for luck...he couldn't do nothing....

He was not hungry that morning; he grabbed his jacket, wallet, and cell phone and went out into the street. He had to do something...at least know if it was true or not. Maybe it was all his imagination, maybe it was really just a virus and he was worrying about nothing. Yes, it couldn't be real...soon he would know for sure and he would be making fun of himself about how stupid he had been to believe such a thing...he could already see himself in front of the TV laughing at himself after finding out that he had gone to all that trouble for nothing.

He decided to head to the clinic he usually went to when he was sick. It was never too crowded and there was no need to make appointments. He didn't want to rely on a simple test he found at the pharmacy, sometimes they gave wrong results, and he wanted to be sure of what was happening to him.

It was a medium-sized facility, several offices and clinics and a few labs for tests. A lady in her 50s was sitting at the reception desk and smiled at him.

-Hi, how can I help you?-

-Hello, well...I need to do some blood tests...I don't have any appointments...I don't know if it's a problem...-

-No problem, we don't have many reservations for these tests today, I should still have a few spots. In the meantime wait here, as soon as the doctor is ready he will call you to discuss about it-

-Thanks- Jeff sat down in the waiting room. There were only a handful of people there. Absolute silence. He then decided to pick up his cell phone and start playing games to pass the time.

-Hello are you the one who asked about blood tests?-a man in a white coat much taller than him approached.

-Yes, I am- Jeff replied.

-Please come this way- the man smiled at him.

Jeff followed him.

-So, you're lucky we haven't had many reservations today. What kind of analysis do you need?-

Jeff was speechless for a moment. He had come there on purpose, but having to say out loud what he needed made him feel more than a little ashamed.

-Here...I would like to know if...analysis for...-

-No need to fret, rest assured-

-A few weeks ago I went through my heat with an alpha and...I would like to make sure that...-

-A pregnancy test?-

Jeff merely nodded embarrassedly.

-Okay, no problem, it will be quick. You'll have the answer in a couple of hours. In the meantime, have you had any symptoms in the last few days?-

-A little nausea but I think it's just a virus, right?-

-Well, it won't take long to find out-.

The doctor proceeded with the blood sample, had him sign some papers and fill out some forms.

-Perfect, we are done. You can go back to the other room. I will call you as soon as the results are ready-

Jeff couldn't sit still. How long would it take the results to arrive? Meanwhile, more people kept arriving, and the clinic was starting to fill up. There was no reason for it, but he felt watched, almost judged, as if those people might know why he was there.