33. TALKING

THREE MONTHS LATER...

-I love this place!- Jeff said, smiling.

-The last time we came here together was months ago...- Alan replied to him.

It was a fairly warm afternoon and they had decided to spend it at the park. It was Saturday and many families had brought their children to play. Jeff and Alan stopped on a bench in the shade of a tree to talk.

-Sir...hey sir...-a child approached and shyly tried to get Jeff's attention.

-Hello- he smiled friendly at him.

-...could you help me...the ball ended up there...I can't get it...-the child pointed to the ball stuck in the branches of a small tree. It was not tall for an adult, but for a child it might seem unreachable.

-Sure, I'll help you- Jeff stood up and followed him. Alan kept watching him from the bench.

-Is that your boyfriend playing with the child? -A woman came up and sat down next to Alan.

-What? Yes, Jeff...- Alan was taken aback and could barely answer. The woman smiled.

-The little boy is my son; your boyfriend seems really nice. My son doesn't often talk to strangers, he's a little shy, but he seems to be having fun now-.

Jeff and the boy, whom Alan later discovered was named Ben, had started throwing the ball around and laughing together. The scene led Alan to smile as well.

-Well, apparently Jeff is good with kids, haha- he laughed.

-Yeah. Well, kind of all the omegas I've met are good with them-.

-Really?-

-Mh-mh. I think the omegas have an extra sensitivity to them, whether they have children or not. By the way, I you are together...do you have children?-

-Well...no...we haven't been together long...-

-I understand...sorry for the question, maybe it's just that I'm still used to the fact that until some time ago omegas tended to marry and have a family when they were very young...-

-How old is your son?-

-He just turned six- smiled the woman -he likes to come to this place to play, so whenever I have time we come here. He's a bit shy, he doesn't have many friends at school yet, however, I'm glad he's having fun. I assure you it's a wonderful experience...in case someday you want to...-

-I don't think that will happen...- Alan interrupted her.

-Oh...- the woman thought she understood what Alan was referring to, although she had no confirmation of it -I'm sorry...-

-Don't worry, I don't think Jeff wanted them at the time anyway-.

-Have you ever asked him? Maybe he could say he doesn't care, but I'm sure deep down he doesn't. I've known several omegas, and never anyone was really convinced he didn't want any, I guess it's part of our nature, I suppose...but anyway you're right, it's still early and you have time- she smiled at him.

Alan turned back to look at Jeff. The kid was chasing after him to get his ball. He looked happy. Thinking about that, since Alan had learned about the botched operation, he had never asked Jeff if he wanted to start a family someday or even how that thing was affecting him emotionally. He didn't want to be too intrusive; he thought Jeff would prefer to have his own space.

-Now it's my turn, catch me!- shouted the boy as he began to run through the park. Jeff chased after him, pretending he couldn't catch him.