20. EMBARASSED

Alan opened his eyes. It must have been late morning already because light was coming in through the window and illuminating the whole room. He felt rested, and it had been a while since he had gotten up like this in the morning. There was a sweet smell coming from the living room. What could it be?- he wondered.

He got dressed and went straight to the kitchen.

-Good morning- it was Jeff.

-Hello....how are you up so early?

-I was hungry and so...I thought....why not cook something?-

-You could have called me if you wanted something, you know that right?-

-I didn't want to bother you-

-I didn't know you could cook-

-In fact, I don't. I am good at sweets, though. I made a cake with chocolate and almonds. I found the ingredients in the kitchen. You don't mind, do you?- he hesitated. He didn't want to be in the way in Alan's house.

-Absolutely not. In fact, I'm glad. Can I taste it later?-

-Who do you think I made it for?-Jeff whispered, rolling his eyes.

-What did you say?-

-Nothing...- he corrected himself.

-I didn't understand, can you repeat it?- Alan began to tease him, smiling.

-Apparently you understood very well...-

-I want to hear it from you though-

-Ok, all right. I wanted to thank you for hosting me in your home...-he said in a breath without looking at him in the eye.

-Well, thanks accepted then- he said after smelling the cake. It must be good.

-And yet it's true that I also made it because I was hungry....-.

-Okok. Come on, I'll clean things up, you sit at the table. I'll be right there-

-What? No, I'll clean up. You go sit down-

-You cooked and I'll clean- Alan said clutching the pot that Jeff was holding.

-But yesterday you cooked and you cleaned everything by yourself- Jeff pulled the pot toward himself.

-Yes, but this is my house so I decide-.

They began to have a tug-of-war with the pot to wash. 

-Right because I'm a guest, I have to help tidy up-

-Yes, but I choose the conditions for which you can stay here. And I say, I clean up-

-No, I'll do it. It's your stuff and I've soiled it, so I'll do it-

-Well, then consider this as a service offered by the house- Alan said in his ear.

-I didn't know there were services like in a hotel-Jeff retorted.

-Yes, and there are more than one- Alan smiled.

-Like what?- Jeff challenged him, getting even closer to his face.

-I'm not sure you want to know-.

-Why not?

"Alan, what are you doing?"-he scolded himself. Perhaps he was exaggerating a bit.

-You'll find out...but not today- he finally said.

-Jeff couldn't figure out what he was referring to. He thought he was probably just joking.

-Do you know that you are just unbelievable?-Alan finally said smiling.

-What do you mean?- he replied offended.