Chapter 48.5 Right Hand Man

Lake's POV

I feel the water create pressure around my glove as I dip it into the bucket, rag clenched in my hand. I pull back up a long with the now soaked rag. I gently squeeze the rag to expel some of the water from it. I then place the rag to the red stain that had been planted onto the carpet, Luckily it's just wine this time. I let out a sigh. Will really needs to be careful with his drinks. I started to scrub the stubborn stain making sure to dig the rag deep into the carpet. Honestly I'd rather be visiting Y/N right now rather than cleaning this stain. If only we weren't short on staff...

I continue to scrub the stain making sure to clean ever last bit of it. If it weren't for this carpet cleaner this would take all day. Luckily I convinced the boss to increase our budget to buy cleaning products. My ears perk up as I hear footsteps approaching. Speaking of the devil...

I look up to see the tall white feline open the door. He adjusts his glasses as he walks in. "Oh... welcome home sir. How was your visit with Y/N?" I ask him. His eyebrow seems to twitch a little. Did something happen? "It was just peachy." He responds in a sarcastic tone. I get up from the ground leaving the rag to cover the stain. I slip off the gloves and drop them next to the bucket. "Your tone of voice tells me otherwise..." I walk over to him. I know this man better than anyone else knows... I can tell when something is up. "What's wrong Willy?" I ask him in a soothing tone. His ears seem to perk up at the mention of his nickname.

"Ugh, fine... I'll tell you..." The cat says dropping his guard. That nickname works every time. He walks over to his desk and plops down into his chair. "Come, sit." He commands. I walk over and take a seat in the chair in front of his desk. The cat's eyes look up at me as his tail flips back and forth. They were missing their usual piercing glare.

"So.. do you want to tell me what's wrong?" I ask the feline again. He let out a sigh as he folded his hands together. "Well... me and Y/N got into an argument... again." Of course, they're always at each other's throats. "What happened this time?" I ask. He shifts in his chair as his ear twitch. I can tell by his body movement that it was something he did. He stayed silent.

"Let me guess you lost your temper again?" He rolls his eyes and looks away. "Yeah... I may have said some... harsh things." He lets out a sigh. I probably shouldn't pry anymore into the argument. "Well... did you take your aggression medication today?" His tail flicks again. "What's the point? They don't even work..."

Of course he didn't... His aggressive outbursts seem to still be getting worse. Must be all the stress he's had lately. "Well, it's just you and me here right now. I'm here if you need to vent." William slouches in his chair laying his head in his arms. "I just feel like a failure... I'm a horrible guardian... I'm just like my dad was..." 

I gently reach a hand out and place it on his arm. "Don't say that Willy, you're actually trying at least. Old habits just die hard. It's gonna take time." He places his hand on mine. "T-thanks Lake. I don't deserve to have someone like you..." He looks up at me with a half-lidded stare. His hand slides up my forearm as the mood in the room seems to shift suddenly as he stares into my eyes. The feline starts to unbutton his over shirt with his other hand. "Promise me, that you'll make forget about this by the time I wake up tomorrow." He says in a soft smooth tone. Here we go again. Looks like it's gonna be another one of those nights.

 "Of course sir..."

to be continued...