Chapter Seven: Blackmail

"Stop!"

"Impedimenta!"

Gracie sprinted, taking a sharp turn into an alley to avoid the hex. The smell of trash and rotting food made her gag, but she continued down the disgusting alleyway. There were a few Muggles sleeping and dirty. If she could control her abilities, she'd transfigure her clothes and pretend to be one of them. But her heart was racing and she couldn't suppress her fear. She couldn't use her ability. She was useless. This is why she wasn't a fighter.

Coming to a path that split off, Gracie had two choices. One of them was a dead end. She casted the Disillusionment charm and pressed her back against the wall, sending a basic cast of magic down the opposite direction.

Three men stopped briefly, glanced to the dead end, but then started running towards the other direction. They probably thought she wasn't so stupid as to put herself at a disposition. They were wrong.

Gracie waited for a few seconds before running down the way in which she came. She looked behind her briefly, but luckily no one was there. She'd fooled them. She-

THUMP

The witch crashed into someone, losing her focus as well as the concealment charm. Her hopes of getting out of this unscathed were thrown in the dumpsters because holding a wand against her throat was an Ashwinder.

A very pissed off one.

"Sorry I'm late to the party, love. Had to see what you did to dear old Victor. And I'm here to return the favor." Beneath the cloth mask hid his snarl and she could feel the cold press of the wood digging in, "He's going to make a full recovery in case you're wondering."

Contempt flooded through her and blended in with her scornful tone, "Be sure to send him a get well box of chocolates from me. What's his favorite filling? Basilisk or Acromantula venom? Both are to die for."

Gracie saw the strike coming and closed her eyes. This is gonna hurt, she thought miserably.

Chapter Seven: Blackmail

SLAP

Her cheek stung and she felt the frustration more than the pain bring tears to her eyes. The Ashwinder's eyes were squinted into cruel half-circles; telling her that he was smiling unnaturally large underneath the cloth mask.

"Anything to say, bitch?"

Gracie nodded, staring into his eyes as she adjusted her arm subtly. "I do. Would you like to hear it?"

He reared back his hand, "You have five seconds."

She smiled innocently, feeling the tip of her wand hit his coat, and causing him to look down suddenly. "Bombarda maxima."

Blood splattered as the explosive charm connected at such a close distance. Gracie fell back-or rather due to the blasting radius was thrown a few feet away, causing her elbow to hit the cobblestone at an awkward angle. Perhaps she should have thought about this more before deciding to have him go out with a bang, she reflected, wincing.