Chapter Fifty Nine: The Ghosts of the Past

"Fresh asparagus soup to start off yer meals, then we have cranberry-orange roasted quail, and an apple dumpling cake to satisfy any sweet tooth you may have." She reached back in the trolley, "Water or tea? You Brits do like yer tea, don't you?"

Gracie piped up, saving her from Sebastian's 'I'm Scottish' speech, "Both please."

"Peppermint, Ginger, or we just got this exotic one called Rooibos." She held up the different packaging, looking over at them curiously for an answer.

Sebastian smiled slowly and slyly, ignoring Gracie's questioning gaze while she brought the spoon towards her soup. "Which one is the best for pregnant women?"

Her spoon fell into the soup, causing the attendant to look at her oddly before looking overjoyed, "Miss are you with child?" Her cheeks were undoubtedly bright red, but she nodded. "Congratulations. Oh let me grab you something special from the back. When I had my second, the nausea was terrible and only ginger tea helped. Are you early in your pregnancy?" Again she nodded, "Take the Ginger tea and the Rooibos. It's full of vitamins and antioxidants."

While the door closed after the trolley attendant bid them another congratulations and farewell; Gracie was using magic to clean off her spoon. "I hate you."

Sebastian smirked devilishly, winking at her. "I love you more, shortcake."

Chapter Fifty Nine: The Ghosts of the Pasts

They arrived in chilly Roanoke, Virginia around midmorning. The temperature was around 4 degrees Celsius or in American terms, 40 degrees Fahrenheit. The trees outside the train station were covered in a thin layer of ice that created a shimmering effect with the sun.

It was beautiful and Gracie wasn't sure if it was just her, but she felt as if the colors were brighter. The birds singing sounded sweeter and she felt so happy to be alive. With Sebastian holding his hand out for her as they descended the train, even he looked more full of life. His eyes were bright, the features defining his face not so rough, and his smile was lighter. Gracie took his hand, but neither let go when they were both on the platform. He adjusted the satchel with his free hand, placing it right in front of him so that it didn't sit between them.

The Trolley attendant had made them take extra tea bags, wishing her a happy and healthy pregnancy. Her cheeks had warmed, not knowing when she'd ever be used to someone saying that to her. Getting pregnant really wasn't something she'd expected to happen which is ironic considering it's one of two outcomes after sex.

She also didn't expect Sebastian to be in love with her, but basked in his affection.

"What's on your mind?" He inquired quietly, rubbing the back of her hand with his thumb soothingly, "Are you tired? We can get some rest before we trek into the mountains."

"I'm not tired." She murmured, squeezing his hand reassuringly. "These old towns must have a popular tavern. It'll be like an information hub."

Sebastian nodded in agreement, before seeing a general store. "Let's ask a local."

Right outside the train station there was a convenient little store that sold beverages, maps, and to her delight books on the area. Sebastian murmured that he was going to go talk to the merchant while she picked up a few books. There was a local newspaper called 'The Roanoke Times' with a caption of more feline attacks and its upcoming tenth anniversary celebration.