Chapter Seventy Eight: It's Okay to Not to Be Okay

Case in point: A tall, aristocratic blond wizard Apparating into the center of the room. His prim and proper suit trousers and white shirt were decorated with a dripping red liquid that covered half his body.

Sebastian stared at him, flabbergasted and a bit disgusted. "You're making a mess. Whose blood is that?"

"Oh no one important."

His gaze narrowed. "Where's Dinah?"

"Dead."

"Is that blood hers?"

"You'd be correct."

Sebastian paused. "Did you kill her?"

"You know I don't like doing the dirty work myself." Ominis noted, casting scourgify charms to clean himself up, "But yes, I killed her."

Gracie blinked at the unexpected answer. "Why?"

"Ranrock had the journal and it was inevitable that he would drill into the caverns." While she asked the question, he was ignoring her entirely and speaking to Sebastian. "However, the reason why he was able to make it to the Final Repository so quickly is because Dinah gave him a map of the underground. Their trade was an understanding that Sharp wouldn't be harmed in the battle." His smile was bitterly cold, "She thought it would be harmless and that there was no chance of us losing down there. She was wrong."

Chapter Seventy Eight: It's Okay to Not to Be Okay

"I feel like a proud father." Sebastian pretended to wipe away a tear, "Shall we call this baby's first cold blooded murder?"

Gracie leered at him. He better have a different set of milestones for their child otherwise she was going to be a single parent very quickly. He winked, his dimple flashing for a moment.

Ominis scoffed and conjured a chair to sit opposite of them, "If you're so proud, go put a kettle on the stove."

"Bossy prat." Sebastian muttered, but listened to him without further complaint.

While he searched the kitchen for tea, Gracie took the initiative to ask the humane questions and not the sociopathic ones Sebastian was bound to ask like 'How did you kill her?'

"Do you feel better for killing her?" She asked cautiously, "I doubt she was a willing participant."

"She held her head up high." Ominis said shortly in a curt tone. "We circled back to the house in Feldcroft to make sure the entire place had burnt down only to find Sharp's lifeless body. He'd been killed only a few hours prior and she was overcome with grief. Kneeling before him, she admitted to everything including what happened down in the caverns and how Ranrock was able to get there before Charlotte could destroy the repository."

"Did you hesitate?" Sebastian inquired from the kitchen, filling up the kettle with water.

Ominis let out a small grimace, "Not even for a moment. I couldn't, I felt so much rage in that moment. Like if Ranrock hadn't had the directions exactly, could it have been enough time for Charlotte to destroy it, and then we would have had an entirely different experience growing up? Could we all have had normal occupations and lives?"

"Sounds boring."

"I'll kill you."

Gracie wondered when she'd become the mediator. "Please don't. I would prefer it if our child had a father."