Chapter Nineteen: Fast Forward

"It's been a long day." Gracie murmured, shifting her attention to the city that was quickly turning into the countryside of Switzerland, "We should get some rest."

"Do as you please." He replied back. "I'm going to read for a while."

She nodded, though part of her wanted to urge him to sleep. He didn't get much sleep last night-though that was his own damn fault-but when they could rest... They had to. Salazar knows what other trouble they would be getting into.

Still... It wasn't her place to.

Friends seemed like too intimate a term to call their relationship. Neither really knew much about the other.

Gracie closed her eyes, leaning her head against the side of the wall. She couldn't be so honest otherwise. Emotional exhaustion crept into her voice as she spoke, "I know that I haven't felt it. Love. I was able to leave for America without a second thought, damning the entire Wizarding World with information I knew. There was nothing I would miss about the U.K. People nor place."

"Not even scones?"

"I could get used to biscuits."

Sebastian paused, but she was more convinced he'd rolled his eyes. "Haven't you dated? Ever fallen in love? Or have you already committed yourself to a nunnery?"

"Sex and love are two different entities. You, more than anyone, should understand that." She peeked an eye open to gauge his expression, "Or will the blonde from last night be joining us in China as well?"

A brief flash of wicked delight shone in his eyes, "No, I think tonight's conquest will be a short, brattish woman. When she's not acting like a cold hearted witch, she can actually be quite... Interesting."

Gracie opened her other eye, startled by his brazenness, but appeared indifferent. "Sebastian Sallow, I wouldn't sleep with you if it meant saving the entire Wizarding World. I'd rather go to America and give up sweets."

He made a tsk-ing noise, "I can't wait to rub those words in your face later. Also, you should get some rest." A naughty smile pulled at his lips, "And not just for tonight, but because you do look exhausted."

"That's because your presence alone is draining."

"You're the one sticking around despite the Vow never having been in effect." He reached into the satchel, "I look forward to tearing down those walls you've built around yourself."

Gracie felt a fire in her veins and her pulse picked up. She hoped he couldn't tell that the heart hammering in her chest was laced with anxiety and an underlining fear. How could someone so casually mention that they were going to break through all your defenses without a shred of concern for the other person?

Demon.

He was a demon.

She needed to regain her footing. Even if it meant being a cold hearted bitch.

"Likewise, Sallow. I can't wait to hear about this Fifth year and how she was murdered. Maybe her failure is the reason we've been stuck in a war for the past five years."

That shut him up. He ignored her, not sparing her a single glance. Instead he chose to focus on the journal. For hours.

Chapter Nineteen: Fast Forward

Traveling from West to East wasn't easy. It took a lot longer than Apparating would have and of course the Floo Network, but now that Rookwood was actively looking for her; even Sebastian didn't want to take many chances. It took almost three weeks to travel by train. With one more day left, Sebastian was grouchy with too much pent up energy and Gracie was pointedly ignoring him by reading facts about the Silk travel route from a book she'd picked up at one of the refueling stops.