Chapter Thirty One: A Fighter

Fifteen minutes later, they were perched on the outskirts of a modest village. Sebastian looked wary, "We may have to fly farther North-"

"Don't be ridiculous." Gracie murmured, "You're ready to drop on your feet."

He ran a hand through his hair, neither agreeing or disagreeing. There were dark circles under his eyes and there wasn't any mirth or amusement twinkling back at her. Plus, they'd spent hours flying. Dawn was quickly approaching.

"Walking into a random village on the outskirts of Calcutta-just the two of us may not be the best idea, shortcake. They don't exactly like Brits, you know."

She shrugged her shoulders, "You're Scottish. And why are you suddenly so cautious?"

"Because not being cautious will get you killed." Sebastian snapped furiously before he stiffened and took a step back from her. He looked haunted and closed his eyes tightly for a second, "That was uncalled for. I'm sorry. I'm tired."

Gracie tilted her head. "You look as if you've seen a ghost."

"Your words just struck a nerve." He said shortly as they walked the dirt path towards the sleeping village. "Charlotte and I were... Chasing ghosts. One specifically that used to be an ancient magic wielder like herself."

She bit her lip, thinking. "Isidora?"

"The very one." He nodded, rubbing his jaw tiredly. "I thought should could help my sister with her magic. When she refused to because she wasn't sure of the repercussions... I was mad and said things I never truly was able to apologize for."

Gracie frowned, "You never said sorry?"

"I did briefly for letting my emotions get the better of me, but I never meant any of it at that time." She glance sideways to see his head was hanging slightly. He was ashamed, "I said whatever I thought would help us move forward with finding a cure for Anne."

Another interesting piece of information. "Cure? She was sick?"

Sebastian nodded, not providing anymore information. He was either tired or didn't feel like relaying his traumatizing past to her. Maybe both. He shifted the conversation to her, "Was your mother throwing you out of the window like a sack of shrivelfigs the reason why you hate flying?"

"Definitely added to my fear of falling." Gracie noted with a pointed look, "What mother throws her kid out the window when she's six?"

"You never forget..." Sebastian's eyebrows drew together as he looked curious, "Which means you know who your mother is, don't you? What's your legal name?"

Gracie deflected, "Let's focus on finding a place to stay. At least until you get your strength up." She perked up about a village full of people, "Do you think they'll have good food?"

"Maybe. The sun will be up in the next hour..." Sebastian looked troubled all of a sudden as they neared the entrance to the village. He swung out his arm, cautioning her. "Listen."

Nothing. It was completely silent. There were about fifteen houses lined up in a circle with a well and campfire in the center. Some of the houses were made of wood, some of mud. Some of the roofs were made with reeds and others with straw. Each of the houses were personalized, but there was one thing they had in common.

They were all empty.

"Humana Revelio." Grace sent out the cast of magic, but there weren't any vibrations that followed. "No one's here."

Sebastian walked over to the campfire, nudging it with the tip of his boot. A red flare appeared, but quickly died out. "They were here." He ran a frustrated hand through his hair, looking around. "Bodies gone. Tropics of India. No signs of struggles." He shifted his attention to Gracie with a wry smirk, "We get to pick the house, shortcake, but you've got first watch. It appears a naughty little Lethifold decided to feast on a whole village last night."