Chapter Thirty Three: American Belle

"Shortcake." Sebastian greeted her as he walked up to her and bent down. She felt him press his lips against the top of her head before murmuring in a louder voice, "We're in luck, they have a room for us." She looked up to see his gaze narrow in on the American. "Who's this?"

Basilisks were known to have deadly stares, but Sebastian's was downright bloodthirsty. He reminded of her a Serpent coiling back, ready to strike at an innocent creature who stumbled across him by accident.

"Charles Henry." The American stood up, wiping his hands on his suit jacket before holding it out towards Sebastian, "It's nice to meet you."

Sebastian cocked an eyebrow, his eyes drifting down to the outstretched hand, and then back to the Golden boy's face, "Right." He turned his focus to her, "Did you order food? I'm starving."

Gracie bit the inside of her cheek to keep from smirking. "I did. Pull up a seat." As he did, placing it to her left, she continued, "Mr. Henry was inviting us onto his paddle boat tomorrow. And also for dinner. We have been wanting to see the Lake, I think it's a good idea."

"Better than your idea of swimming." He muttered, wryly.

Charles was given another seat by another waiter, much to Sebastian's chagrin. She could tell it annoyed him by the subtle way his jaw twitched and he looked out towards the Lake.

"Swimming? That would be an awful idea. The Lake's teaming with crocodiles and hippos. Everyone's afraid of the crocs, but I think you should be more wary about the hippos." Charles said with an uneasy grin.

The unease was likely from Sebastian's presence. He radiated cool hostility and there wasn't a doubt in anyones mind right now that he was irritated.

"They're aggressive and unpredictable." Sebastian noted with a slight curve to his lips, "But don't underestimate the crocodiles."

Charles cleared his throat, "And why is that...? I'm sorry, I don't recall your name."

That's because he didn't tell you, Gracie reflected with some irony. The waitress stopped by to drop off two waters, placing one in front of Gracie and Charles. She saw Sebastian and apologized, running off to get serving.

Sebastian reached for the glass in front of Charles, bringing it to his lips. He smiled coyly over the rim with a promise laced into his voice, "Crocs are known to be territorial. Provoke one and you might get killed."

Chapter Thirty Three: American Belle

Charles left shortly after that delightful encounter, promising to leave two tickets for the paddle steamboat with the front desk. Gracie slid her eyes over to Sebastian who was cutting into his entree for the night, "If our free ride is gone because you wanted to be an arsehole for no reason, then I'm feeding you to to the crocodiles."

"I can give you a free ride anytime, shortcake. You just have to beg for it." Sebastian said with a wink, taking a bite of his food. He chewed thoughtfully, before shrugging. "It's gamey, but what is this? Fish?"

Gracie smiled, thankful that she'd moved her chair to sit across from him once Charles left. It might give her a running start this way. "It's crocodile." Sebastian nodded once, taking another bite, "Testicles."