Chapter Thirty Four: C'est La Vie

"Are you jealous?" Sebastian asked the question bluntly, taking another step forward which she matched. With a dismissive hand, the door shut behind them, and now they were alone in the room together. It was only lit with a single candle on the table, allowing the glow to remain between them. Their shadows slid across the wall to her right, where he was hunting her like the ravenous serpent he was. "You are."

Denial rang heavy in her voice, "I'm not jealous. I don't care."

"I saw the look on your face earlier, shortcake. You'll have to do far better than that to lie to me."

The corner of his lip curved up slowly. Her chest always warmed at the action, the way he was so effortlessly... deadly. Menacing. Somewhere deep inside her, she was addicted to the danger that rolled off Sebastian in waves. Gracie liked the way it felt, knowing he'd kill someone for touching her. And she had no fucking clue why she would like something as cynical as that.

She swallowed, biting her lip. Her heart hammered in her chest. A billion lies flashed through her mind while she continued this mental game of chess with Sebastian. "I knew you were delusional, but I didn't realize you were also blind too."

"Ominis is firmly rooted in his role as the tortured, blind man with a tragic past." He remarked dryly, taking another step towards her. Amusement tinkling in his eye as she stepped back.

They continued this dance, until her back hit the wall, and she was left staring up at the demon leading her to temptation. Gracie's eyes steeled, "And what's your role?"

"My role?" A wicked grin played on his lips as he tilted her chin up with his forefinger. The light from the candle was against his back and she had the feeling of being engulfed in his darkness, "I thought I was the Serpent from the Garden of Eden. Tempting you to eat the apple."

Gracie said nothing to this, narrowing her eyes, and trying to figure out what his endgame was. Why was he doing this? Saying this?

Sebastian continued, his thumb dragging down her bottom lip slightly, "I hate to break it to you, shortcake, but I told you I'm not the devil. I never belonged with the angels. I'm much worse."

"How so?" She challenged quietly, licking her lips when her lip was released.

It was a mistake because Sebastian's thumb was still there and his eyes grew heavy with desire when her tongue touched his finger. "Because I take what I want."

"And what do you want, Sebastian?"

He smirked, coyly. His head dipped. "You." Sebastian's lips brushed against her jaw as he whispered against her ear, "Your body. Give in to me."

Chapter Thirty Four: C'est La Vie

One heartbeat. Two. Three?

How many passed when Gracie realized she was holding her breath. Sebastian had his hands flat against the wall on either side of her with his head bent towards her.

"And be like the waitress?" She turned her head away from him, "No thanks, Sallow."

He exhaled sharply, eyes narrowing. "Shortcake, if you're jealous then kiss me."

"I'm not jealous." She retorted, "Which means no."

Sebastian laughed humorlessly, "Why are you so stubborn?" He tilted her chin up with his left hand, "I know you want to."