Chapter Fifty Three: Hell is Empty and All the Devils Are Here

"If you'll excuse me, I'm going to use the loo." Dunstan murmured, scooting the chair back.

Gracie sighed, inwardly relieved. Once the man left, she shifted her attention to the woman. "Are you alright?"

"Quite." She smiled, but there wasn't any emotion in her face. "Why, does it not seem that way?"

"He doesn't really seem like the best company." Gracie mused, eyes flickering towards her hand. No wedding ring. "Are you family?"

"No. We're actually work associates."

That surprised her.

"Really?" Gracie blinked, watching Sacharissa's slow smile. "And what are you both heading to America for? Work related?"

Sacharissa nodded, dabbing her lips with a napkin although she'd hadn't taken a bite of her pancakes. "Yes, actually. We're bounty hunters."

Bounty.... Hunters?

The girl continued, "Here I thought I'd spend the rest of my life creating beauty potions and instead I have to hunt my own kind just to buy very expensive bubotuber potion ingredients. Right now I'm studying their effects on acne."

Magical bounty hunters?

Gracie was at a loss for words, "Who are you hunting?"

"I'm glad you asked. We were told they could be heading to America since a Wampus has been on a slaughter spree throughout the Appalachian mountains, and no one it seems has been able to kill it. Victor hired us personally. And what luck it is to know that you and Sallow got into an argument. He won't be here to protect you."

"...I don't need protecting." Gracie began to argue, but Sacharissa cut her off.

"Spare me the details. The bounty was for the sword, not you. I don't need you." The woman's voice was cold. Colder than the butter knife being lodged deep into her thigh to keep her attached to the seat in a devastating method.

Chapter Fifty Three: Hell is Empty and All the Devils are Here

The last time.

This was the last time she would be nice and worry about someone else because the butter knife inside her leg was millimeters away from her femoral artery.

"Is this payback from Victor?" Pain shook her voice as she reached for her wand when another pressed against her side. "The severing charm to the back of his thigh must have crippled him for some time."

"No quick movements, Hunt." She tsked, "Tell me where the sword is and I'll make it quick."

Ah. One possible outcome. She takes Sacharissa back to the room and the witch gets utterly destroyed by Sebastian. Considering how much force she had to use to stab her with a butter knife, Gracie wasn't feeling considerably empathetic for her imminent death.

"Unfortunately for you, there's a charm on the door. You won't be able to open it without me. I'm sure Dunstan went to go check for my room, didn't he?" She wasn't daft now, "It's been a while. A revealing charm should have led him to my room. If it was as simple as an alohomora, he'd have the sword, and you'd have killed me."

"You think you've got it all figure out, don't you?" Sacharissa snapped lowly, finally breaking from her cold and detached persona, "It's Sallow's and that bitch's fault we're in a war. It was never supposed to be like this."