Chapter Sixty Six: Trial By Fire

Sebastian choked on a laugh, feeling more alive with her in that moment than he had in the last few days on the battlefield. Was it like this the whole time? Is this why he'd chosen to travel with her instead of getting the task over quickly?

The feeling was intoxicating and he didn't want to leave her side. However, his demons were reminding him that Ominis and Charlotte didn't have the same luxury. He could have done more to preserve their happiness instead of being a sod.

Instead of driving the wedge between him and Ominis about the use of Dark magic. It was a wonder in the first place why he even still talked to the Scottish wizard. Sebastian was sure when Charlotte died, that he'd lost Ominis. The blind wizard wore his mask and never cried. He grieved by standing silently in gardens whenever he saw butterflies. Charlotte had felt the pressure of the new world and her powers, and often said she wished she could be free like a butterfly. Ominis' singular tattoo on his inner wrist was of an emerald butterfly that fluttered with magic ink.

Sebastian reached down, twirling a piece of her long red hair around his finger. The demons were getting too loud in his head. He wanted to occlude so terribly bad, but touching her helped. If he knew he could silence his demons with a mere touch to this little imp, then she was in trouble.

He'd touch her forever. Though, she was short and the scarlet hair really did remind him of his mother's garden.

"I think I'll call you shortcake." He mused quietly, watching with avid interest as agony filled her eyes.

How. Delicious.

The sadist in him wanted to push her to her limits.

He wanted to ruin her.

She was fucked now.

The little imp had fully gained his interest.

Chapter Sixty Six: Trial By Fire - Sebastian's POV

The witch smacked his hand away, startling him. Did she know who he was? He was the most bloodthirsty general the rebellion had to offer. Surely she wouldn't dare do such a thing had she known how dangerous he was.

"Who do you think you're smacking away, shortcake?" He asked manically, scrutinizing the way she took a step back from him, but still didn't show a sliver of fear. She was confident he wouldn't hurt her. Why? He hurt everyone.

"If you'd like for your tongue to remain in your mouth, I suggest you never call me Shortcake ever again." The venomous tone dripped from those pretty lips, "If your memories weren't slowly coming back, you'd already be swimming with the sharks."

He tilted his head, leaning back against the door with dark look in his eyes. If she wanted his tongue, all she had to do was beg. He both excited her and unsettled her. Sebastian could tell with the way she occluded and crossed her arms in front of her, yet never made the move to duel. Gracie wanted him to leave as much as she wanted him to stay.

"Considering you turned Ominis away, I'm afraid you're stuck with me." He drawled, feeling satisfied for the first time since he'd been away from her. The constant need to spill blood had dulled to the back of his mind and he felt as if he was finally able to relax. Instead of this witch dousing his flames, he found her becoming the spark. It was refreshing to have someone rise up to meet his challenging gaze, "Or are you going to try and turn me away too?"