Chapter 24 : Who is Court of Owls

We are businessmen, not assassins. When we spend too much time roosting at our desks and soaring only in jets...we run the risk of forgetting what it means to have Talons! For this reason we gather in sport and remember what it means to be an owl. We are the scholar that sings and roosts from a comfortable hollow, yes--but so are we the soundless nightmare that descends on the hare.
--Court of Owls
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"It appears you need a ride, my friends."
When a kid in a uniform said this to Jude, he instantly guessed the kid's identity.
There is only one Batman, and that is Bruce Wayne. However, his wingman Robin has appeared five times before and after.
The first generation was Dick Grayson, later known as Nightwing. Jason Todd, the second generation, was resurrected as the Red Hood after being killed by the Joker.
The third-generation Robin is Tim Drake, known as the most obedient Robin. After the cloak battle, he became the Red Robin. The fourth-generation Robin was Stephanie Brown, the only female Robin and Tim Drake's girlfriend, who later became Batgirl.
The fifth-generation Robin is the kid who stood in front of Jude, named Damian Wayne. He is the biological son of Bruce Wayne, and his mother is the daughter of the ninja master Talia al Ghul.
This kid is more arrogant than his four predecessors, and, of course, he has died more often. Batman even bravely rushed to the Apocalypse for him, grabbing food from Darkseid.
Jude looked at the Batmobile in front of him. If nothing else, Bruce Wayne should be sitting in the driver's seat.
"It's going to be sunrise soon, and driving the Batmobile so wildly, is this good?"
Damian put his hands on his chest, raised his head, and said, "It's because the day is about to dawn, so a fast means of transportation is needed. The court is monitoring all of this, and they will come again soon."
"So?"
"So you better come up; Batman has something to ask you."
"What if I say no?"
Damian smiled and clenched his fists. "Then I don't mind asking you to come up."
Bridget looked at the kid in front of her with a bit of annoyance and said, "You can't beat us all, can't you?"
Damian's voice immediately sank: "Don't call me a little guy; my mother and grandpa dare not call me that."
"Little guy, I thought he was a superhero in a Robin's uniform. Is Batman that good looking?"
Damian squinted his eyes. I don't know when there was a batarang in his hand, and Bridget also started to emit flames at his fingertips.
"Robin!"
"Firefly!"
Jude and Bruce stopped them at the same time, and then the door on the other side opened, and Batman's tall body emerged from it.
He proactively stretched out his hand and said, "Batman, I don't think I need to introduce more."
Jude shook hands with him: "I don't have a code name; just call me Herbert. So Batman, what can I do for you?"
Bruce said in a deep voice, "What the court does, I will stop it, and if it wants you, I will bring it down."
"In other words, do you have no purpose of your own?"
"Of course, I need an explanation about Arkham."
Jude nodded. "That's right, it's better to talk at a little better place, but can your Batmobile hold five people?"
Robin sneered, "Old man, don't underestimate the Bat Family."
As he pressed a button, the originally sleek Batmobile began to deform in an instant. After a while, it had doubled in size. Not to mention accommodating five people; it could easily accommodate ten.
"Although the speed will be a little slower, it is not a problem to accommodate you."
Jude couldn't help but sigh, "It seems, it's the power of money."
The Batmobile, or rather, the Bat Van, now walked up and down the road to the outskirts instead of taking the main road. It arrived at a villa ten minutes later.
"Come in; this can be used as a temporary residence; the court can't find it for a while."
Jude looked around and said hesitantly, "I don't think so. For the Court of Owls, Gotham has almost no secrets, unless you take us to your private place."
Bruce paused, took out the key, opened the door, and asked, "Mr. Herbert, you seem to know the court well."
"I can't claim to understand completely; I just know some information. Are you interested in listening?"
Batman still had that doubtful tone: "Why tell me?"
"Because they are going to kill me and my friend, and although you belong to the dark, you are at least a knight."
"The enemy's enemy is a friend, and I will listen with great respect."
Jude walked to the wine cabinet and drew out a bottle of brandy. He poured half a bottle in one breath. He said with unfinished words, "The Court of Gotham is an ancient legend that exists in Gotham. You must have heard a song."
"Beware the Court of Owls, that watches all the time, ruling Gotham from a shadowy perch, behind granite and lime. They watch you at your heart, they watch you in your bed, speak not a whispered word of them or they'll send the Talon for your head."
Ivy hummed a song softly. In Gotham, many people can sing this eerie nursery rhyme.
"Yes, that's it. No one knows when the court was born, but it must be earlier than the time when the Wayne family took root in Gotham."
"Alan Wayne, do you know? He is the Great grandfather of Bruce Wayne, the President of Wayne Group, and the builder of most of Gotham City. He laid a solid foundation for the strength of the Wayne Group."
Listening to Jude talk about Alan Wayne, Bruce and Damian both had skipped a heartbeat because they were so familiar with the name.
"It's just that he died on the streets of Gotham City in 1922, and he plunged into the sewer and drowned. It is said that he laughed like a madman before he died. Do you know why?"
Bruce tried to calm himself down and asked faintly, "Is it the court?"
"You are right. Alan Wayne was unwilling to obey the court, so he had to be eliminated. He was injected with a neurotoxin by the Talons, which caused him to laugh and die."
"But the Wayne Group did not collapse as the court expected. Bruce Wayne's father, Thomas Wayne, made it grow stronger until he became the head of Gotham's four major families and the daytime master of Gotham."
Hearing this, Damian couldn't help asking, "Why is it daytime?"
Jude poured the remaining brandy and laughed: "Silly because the night is controlled by someone else!"
"From then on, the court and the Wayne Group began to compete for control of Gotham. The court hoped that Gotham could remain in chaos, and Wayne hoped that Gotham could usher in a new life. The conflicts became more and more intense, eventually leading to the outbreak of the incident."
At this moment, no matter how Bruce suppressed his emotions, his hands trembled slightly, and Jude stared at him with a smile.
The room fell silent for a while. After a while, Bruce asked in a hoarse voice, "What is the incident you mentioned?"
"Of course, Thomas Wayne and Martha Wayne were shot in a small alley by an unknown robber."
Bruce, suppressing his excitement, asked calmly, "So, the Wayne couple was also killed by the court?"
Who knows, Jude shook his head. "I don't know either."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Myth of the Court of Owls is as old or possibly even older than Gotham City itself. The court splintered off from the Tribe of Judas, a cult worshipping a cosmic bat deity known as Barbatos. Certain members of the Court believed that they could call forth Barbatos by chemically altering a member of House Wayne chosen by Barbatos with five metals originating from beyond their world.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
================================================================
Uploaded 18+ chapters today on Patreon
================================================================

Uploaded 100+ chapters on Patreon

Please support me on patreon or on Paypal

patreon.com/harsh07

Paypal - hvs.jeetu71@gmail.com

support in any way you can

================================================================

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

special thanks to all my Patreons
keep supporting me like this guys and I'll do more hardwork and upload more chapters and further improve the quality of chapters in future
To Read upto 120 chapters in advance go to patreon.com/harsh07
you can also support me by https://www.buymeacoffee.com/harsh07

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Updated some starting chapters 

Please support me on patreon or on Paypal

patreon.com/harsh07

Paypal - hvs.jeetu71@gmail.com

support in any way you can