Chapter 18: The mystery begins

November 1972

"Now, can you tell me about wiggentree bark, Adelaide?" Professor Slughorn asked, as he looked at the two standing students in front of him.

"It is brown in colour, and has protection against dark creatures. It needs to be freshly stripped and is used in the Wiggentree potion." Adelaide answered in one breath.

There was a potions competition between Ravenclaw and Gryffindor, if you answered the questions correctly, you would stay but if you answered wrong, you would be forced to sit down. Now, the only students remaining were Adelaide and Somerset. Both of them tried to up the other, but they were still tied. Whenever they finished answering, they would glare at each other's direction, without Slughorn noticing. The winner would earn 100 house points and would be allowed not to participate in the next exam.

"And Stephan, can you name five potions that Lavender would be used in?"

"Sleeping Draught, fire-breathing potion, calming draught, potion for dreamless-sleep and..." Somerset thought for some moment, but couldn't remember anything else. "I don't think i..."

"Insect repellent." Adelaide chimed in.

"Brilliant, Adelaide, Stephan. I wanted to announce a tie, but it seems that we already have a winner. Adelaide beat you fare and square, my boy. Everyone clap for Adelaide please." Slughorn smiled at them. Adelaide was beaming while Somerset was a little bit sad, but he was cheered on by his friends and they patted his back.

"100 points for Ravenclaw and also, you will not be participating in the next exam. Bravo."

"Great job, Dela." Lily said hugging her.
"Thank you, Lily."
"Oh, you brought our house honour, Lady Winchester. We are most proud of you." Alice said in a mocking voice but hugged her as well.

When the class finished, Adelaide was approached by Somerset. He looked at her, and suddenly said: "Congratulations, Winchester. You held up very well." As if he was shocked by himself, he frowned, then walked away as quickly as possible, not letting Adelaide answer him. He genuinely meant it. How weird.

"Adelaide what happened?" William asked her, appearing suddenly beside her.

"Nothing. I won the competition."
"You're brilliant." He paused, pink dusting his cheeks, which was unnoticed by Adelaide. "Ours was won by Severus. He is blood talented in potions. I was also in the top 3."

"Oh, really? You did well. Great job. I need to congratulate Sev on that later."

"Well, you were against a lot of talented people. The mud-muggle born, Fortescue, Black, Meadowes,.. and Somerset. You won against that prick! You owe me a cake now."

"Well, it's only the beginning. Besides this means i'll have more time studying other subjects instead of potions now that i don't have to take the exam."

Second year was passing with a great ferocity, that the first year lacked. Victoria always told Adelaide that second and third years were the best, especially the 3, since the first year you would be so new to many things, schedule and environment that you are not as relaxed. Fourth year is the year before OWLs and someone like Adelaide would start studying their butt off from the year before, and from the second term till the end the homework and everything would be increasing. 5th year is the OWLs, sixth year is difficult and heavy and well the 7th year is «as shitty as it can be», a phrase from Victoria.

Adelaide was writing religiously to her parents, she never asked about her mother's health. If they wanted me to know or if things were getting better, they would have said it. So, in all sadness, her mother was as bad as always. Adelaide noticed whenever her mother wrote, her handwriting was a little but shaky and not as neat as before. And so, the letters that were being answered by her father, increased. Helena and Edmund were doing just fine.