Chapter 20: Mystery solved

January 1973

Adelaide kept herself busy with the her studies and books. She was also constantly accompanied by her friends. She rarely thought about her mother during the day, and at night, when her mind would wander there, she would quickly start reading something to tame her mind.

Her powers were as lethal as before, so nowadays all of her classes with Dumbledore was finding ways to control it, sometimes they went over different kinds of expressions of power, but nothing else, since most of the techniques were unique to each person, so it was only up to Adelaide to find them out. So now, a huge part of her free time would be practicing her magic, away from the students. Even though it was hard not staying with her friends, but it was absolutely necessary for their safety.

Adelaide also tried to uncover the mystery that was bothering her. A part of her wished that it would be not as easy, to find the identity of the werewolf, so that she could have another thing to occupy her mind, but she knew that she was way too close to crack the case, and she needed to finish it as soon as possible.

Adelaide had put everyone under surveillance, and thought if any of the students she knew from her year, would be absent once per month. Though if the suspect is a girl, it would be harder, since some of the girls might have started their periods and due to its pain have been absent, not because of being a werewolf.

They were in the middle of January, so she was eager to see, who was absent.
"James, is Remus absent again?" Sirius said sighing.
"He is very sick, madam Pomfrey said, suppose he might be in the hospital wing now, though he is not allowed visitors today, she says it's because of the sickness being contagious or something." James replied shaking his head.

Bingo. He was always absent one per month since last year, sometimes he was telling me about his mother being ill or being ill himself. He sometimes appears with some scars too. It fits perfectly.
Adelaide thought to herself. I'll visit him tomorrow and have an honest conversation with him.

                                         ...............

Adelaide woke up early, paying attention not to wale up Sarah or Alice. She took a chocolate bar, a gift for Remus, and went to the infirmary. She slowly opened its door, there was no one beside a Remus, who was awake and writing something, perhaps he was catching up with the subjects taught yesterday. At the sound of her footsteps, he looked up, when he saw Adelaide he smiled.

"Hello, Remus. Good morning. I heard you were in the infirmary, so i wanted to visit you to check if you were all right."

"Good morning Adelaide. Well, that is kind of you." He said smiling at her.

Adelaide took a chair and sat beside his bed. She glanced at his face. He had a small scar on his right cheek, and he had bags under his eyes.

"Now, Remus, why were you absent yesterday?"
"I was sick. Nausea. That's all."
His reason of illness is different from what had been officially said by madam Pomfrey. So he is truly a... .

Adelaide drew in a breath. Though if she was correct, that meant Remus, a nice boy her age at only 12, was a werewolf, she didn't think it would change much about her friendship with him. But she was still rather confused about what to think of these circumstances.

"Remus, i want to ask a question from you and please answer it honestly. I do think i already know the answer. Are you a werewolf?"

The change in Remus's face was huge. He paled suddenly, his eyes getting wider as if he had seen a ghost, though he calmed himself rather soon, his reaction already confirmed the truth.