Chapter 33: The roaring thunder

It was the ending days of January, and Adelaide was feeling worse than ever. She was always angry for some reason and had a foul temper, her sarcasm nearly mirrored Victoria's and her tone was bitter and she always snapped whenever someone just happened to say something to her at the wrong time. She was feeling dizzy and faint these days and she always felt cold and numb, sometimes even at night she would suffer from horrible headaches and she would feel body pains randomly at times.

After Christmas, she had joined her girl friends rarely on their excursions and gatherings and preferred to keep to herself. Even whenever she joined them, she couldn't really break through her haze and her lack of energy made her less inclined to join their conversations. She was a listener, if you could even call her occasional hearings that.

Adelaide was walking down the stairs in order to join her friends beside the black lake at their usual spot, she hadn't really told them since the urge for her to join them had happened randomly and she felt a moment of light and tried to stick to it. When she got near them,  they didn't notice her and she stayed behind a tree so that she could hear whatever they were saying.

"... dunno. Perhaps she wants to be alone and i rather accept it than force her to come here." Sarah looked down as she replied in a hushed tone.

"Well, we can't keep on begging her, see nowadays that we didn't tell her she didn't join us and that's her wish. You are far too loving to keep begging her to come." Mary said hurriedly.

"She is mostly alone or with Remus studying, like she does usually, or with Mulciber's friend, Avery." Dorcas analysed as she frowned a bit.

"I don't what she sees in him, Avery i mean. He still is arrogant and snobbish, going around with people who are no good, being best friends with Mulciber and Snape... don't give me that look Lily, Snape is only good to you, not us blood traitors. Avery is bratty and only pretends to be good in front of her. Seriously, she ditched us for him." Marlene ranted.

Ah, so they like gossiping about me these days and questioning my choices.

"Well, he brings a light in her that is not there anymore, and as her good friend, i am happy that he makes my friend happy now, it's not like he is hurting her and, i am ok with that, if that's what makes her better. She isn't choosing between us and him." Lily defended her. "Besides, perhaps we were too harsh on her and should have understood her-"

"More? Is that what you're going to say? We have given her enough time, isn't she rude nowadays? Whenever someone is telling her something or disagreeing with her, she cruelly snaps at that person and that's that." Marlene angrily countered.

"Yeah but that is not something that doesn't make sense..." Sarah explained as she looked back at Alice to back her up.

"Well, she does snap at people who tend to help her..." Alice continued.

"And yet you still tend to give her a pass because of that. She is treating you like dirt nowadays. Didn't you say that last Tuesday she snapped at you for laughing in your dorm. It is your dorm too! She has no right..." Mary replied.

"You're right, but i just don't want to be in a confrontation with her. I don't think it's worth it." Alice looked down and Sarah frowned at her.

"And yet you see no fault with your.. our behaviour." Lily huffed as she put her hand on her hips.

"No, we are totally treating her well and she is the one who's been shitty. Someone who i might have called a bitch if she wasn't my friend." Marlene said while Dorcas nodded at her sentence.
"She is actually like a burden nowadays, though i might thank her for not really being around anymore."