Chapter 31: Broken words and promises

As she got closer, she heard whispers getting louder. So they are here still. She walked to where she heard the whispers coming from. When she got closer she was suddenly in the midst of a meeting. Their meeting.
They all returned and looked at her. It was filled with 30-40 Slytherin students. Well, mostly Slytherins, all from third year to the seventh year. She recognised some of them, there was Yaxley, Malfoy, the Carrow siblings, the older Wilkes,Rookwood, and not so surprisingly Mulciber. But standing beside him, were Severus and William, which made Adelaide's heart drop.

She feigned a passive and innocent face and said: "Sorry, I was looking for my cat." She turned to walk away but felt a hand on her shoulder.

"Well, not so soon girl." Alecto said as she aggressively turned Adelaide around. "What are you doing here?" Alecto asked as she pulled her in the middle of the crowd. Great job Adelaide, now lie yourself out of this mess.

"Are you dumb? Or should I repeat myself again? I was looking for my cat, she has a habit of running away." Adelaide said as she made a bored expression trying to keep her voice even.

"You little-"
"Alecto, that's Adelaide Winchester, now we mustn't treat her like that." Lucius Malfoy, who seemed to be their leader, told, no, ordered her.

"Oh really? Hmm, you are right. My apologies." Alecto said as she stared in Adelaide's face. "You had grown from the last time i had really looked at you, when was that, ah your first year."

"Well, now that you know who i am, i might as well, go and look for my cat." She said with boredom.

"Before we let you go, we need to make sure that you won't say anything." Malfoy replied. Severus and William gave him worried looks.

"I just stumbled here, and i didn't know that you were having a friendly gathering. I don't know what's going on. So why should i tell anyone anything?"

"You might not know what's going on, but one of the people that you might inform, might form some general idea, about what's going on." Amycus replied.

"So, either you're going to put an imperios curse on me or delete my memory. Though i advise you not to try the first one since it's an unforgivable and nor do i advise you to use the second way, since oblivating someone is a bit complex and dangerous, and many... lack the talent to do so." Adelaide said as she looked in their eyes.

"Don't worry girl, we might have a professional on each of these curses." One of them said as all of them laughed.

"Oh, then i suppose, since i hate someone playing with my mind, i would resist you." Adelaide summoned a fire and waved it in front of them. They gasped and looked at her. They are many, if it escalates i will be too tired to really resist all of them or use my own powers. "My powers are still unpredictable so i might burn some of you to death too." Adelaide warned even though she wasn't sure she had the energy to summon that much fire to burn anything.

"Now, be cooperative and come here yourself. i promise you, we won't.."

"No!" Suddenly William shouted. All of them looked at him. He turned red.

"What William wants to say is that there might be another way. Adelaide is very logical you know, so there might be no need of this... showdown. We can just make her understand to not speak of this." Severus covered his friend smoothly. Since when has he become this politician here?

"Well, Severus is right. Let's all calm down. This is a misunderstanding now." Malfoy began as he was thinking. He walked closer to Adelaide. Adelaide put a hand on her pocket, ready to pull out her wand and strike.