Chapter 34: A most unfortunate day

After what went down with the girls, Adelaide mastered avoiding them at all times. She always got up earlier than Alice and Sarah and at night went back late to their dorms and managed to stay away from all of them. The only one of them who Adelaide saw actively trying to speak to her and catch her was Lily, but Adelaide asked Remus to sit with her whenever they classes with Gryffindors, since she wasn't really welcome with her friends anymore and Remus was the one who actually gave her this idea. At first Adelaide felt guilty, taking him away from his friends, but when she told her concern to him he answered: "What are friends for?" And Adelaide appreciated that.

Some days Severus and Lily would catch up to her, Adelaide would ignore Lily, since she felt very guilty about everything, and could still remember her shocked and frightened face after she lost control. She was perhaps the only one who truly defended her, so she felt angry at herself, so Severus respected her wish for him to not find her with Lily by his side, since she really couldn't bear it. So Severus would sometimes join Adelaide whenever she was with William.

"She really misses you. You need to talk to her, even if you don't want to talk to the others." Severus told her for the 100th time in the last two weeks that had passed.

"Thank you again for telling me this, but no, i rather not." Adelaide replied as she angrily put a dot for her "i" in her writing.

"But you must. It is better if you get it done sooner than later, you know, the more you put it off.."

"Adelaide had already made her decision, Severus, don't pressure her into it. Just because it's hurting that mu- Evans, you don't have to force her into this." William exclaimed loudly, with Severus glaring slightly at him.

"Well, i don't how you did your classes when us Slytherins are not with you Ravenclaws in these past two weeks, nearly 3." Severus questioned Adelaide.

"When i was with Hufflepuffs i would sit beside the older brother of Maud, a friend of my sister's and his friends. When it's with Gryffindors i would sit with Remus." With the mention of Remus' name, William's head snapped up.

"You sit with him?" There was an edge to his voice that even shocked Severus.

"I sit with him, because he is my friend and had been nothing but absolutely kind to me these days and before. Besides what would you have me do? Sit beside Somerset?" Severus looked alarmed at her tone.

"Since when had you two gotten closer, and i don't know about it?" Severus gave William a warning look.

"Well, since last year, nothing special that had gotten you riled up. You don't have to know everything about me you know and who i am friends with."

"He didn't want to-" Severus' explanation was interrupted when William replied: "To my knowledge, he is friends with the greatest jerks in school, including Somerset, who is your rival."

"That is his choice, even though he might have some questioning tastes in choosing his friends, i don't judge him and they are loyal to one another. Besides, if i am going to judge anyone, it will be you and Severus' chosen companions, like darling Mulciber. The pot calls the kettle black." Adelaide answered him.

"But-"

"At least none of them are idiotic prejudiced bigots like your friends so stop criticising him. He is a very good boy."

"But isn't my concern valid, Severus?" William looked at Severus to back him up.

"Well, um.." Severus mumbled, but quickly regained his voice. "He is friends with those piece of works, but he is not the worst out of all of them. Actually out of his gang, between him, Potter, Black and Pettigrew, i would choose him too." At William's glare he continued: "But, he is still one of them so yeah. I still don't like him but he is not that horrible as the rest of them."