Chapter 29: The quidditch quarrels

Professor Slughorn was handing the students their quizzes back at the end of the class, Adelaide grinned as she saw her 100 percent and showed it to Somerset, as he got his papers. He grinned at his own paper, gave her an arrogant smirk and showed his own paper. A 100 percent. Adelaide glared at him and felt her heart sinking.
When i always think that i have beat him, he ends up keeping up with me. Brilliant. Perhaps i need to study more instead of stupid daydreaming about some old memories.

"So are you going to see the quidditch game?" Mary asked at the end of their class.

"Mary, it's not even a question, you dummy. Of course they will come and watch me wipe the floor with the Hufflepuffs." Marlene huffed proudly.

"Well, i really want to but..." Adelaide started, she really was feeling like sitting at a corner and absolutely doing nothing. It was her mother's birthday today, and she felt absolutely nothing but pain and emptiness.

"Don't be a stupid party-pooper. This year you have been such a brooding little mess, Dela. You need to stop this pathetic display of «i am so depressed»." Marlene snapped at her.

The tension was very thick. Lily was glaring at Marlene, Dorcas and Alice looked worried but Mary seemed to back Marlene.

As Adelaide opened her mouth to respond, Sarah put her hand on her arm and said: "I am sure Adelaide is tired now. She likes to come and watch you play." Then she gave a pat as if she warning Adelaide against saying anything to Marlene.

Marlene nodded and said: "Very well." Then she turned left, since she wanted to prepare for the game that was this evening. Mary nodded and went with Marlene.

Adelaide was still shocked. "Sarah why did you..."
"In anger we say stupid things."

"Well, i was not angry but she was. I wanted to give her a reality check, since she seems to snap at everything and everyone, just because she is stressed, doesn't mean that she can get away saying everything. Two nights ago, she snapped at you for not giving her hope about her shooting a fantastic score today, since you told her it was her first game and she mustn't expect too much." If Adelaide was not angry before, now she was a raging dragon, angered by her friends' passivity.

"Now, now, don't say mean things to her." Alice glared at Adelaide. Sarah started sniffing and tears were starting to form in her eyes.

"I didn't say anything mean to her, but i was telling her that she shouldn't be pushed around." Adelaide snapped at Alice.

"Everyone, it has been a rough day, let it slide. Now apologise and things would be well." Dorcas stated, saying the last sentence pointedly to Adelaide. Don't be a burden and apologise. You have been nothing but a thorn at their side this year, perhaps they are right.

"Sarah, i'm sorry, it's just that you need to learn to stand your ground. You remind me of Helena, and it's hard to watch someone like her who is so sweet, be pushed around." Adelaide said tiredly, hugging her.

"I forgive you." Sarah said and Alice nodded approvingly.

"Well, Marlene should apologise too." Lily stated, as she rolled her eyes.

"She will become angry, after today goes away, she'll be fine again." Alice said and then the three other girls said their goodbyes and left, leaving Lily and Adelaide behind.

"What Marlene said today was insensitive. Sometimes, she needs to be reminded to be more careful about certain things. Putting her foot in her mouth like that and not controlling her anger and snapping at everyone is not mature." Lily said as she eyed Adelaide cautiously.