Chapter 51

Alastor insisted on teaching Charlie immediately. He explained to Charlie that from now on, she was to exactly what he said and give him her full attention. She could not miss one thing, not even the smallest bit of information he spoke, everything he knew counted for something. And Charlie had to know it all if she wanted even a shred of a chance against Levana.

"Now first thing you need to know about her is that she is an illusion. Everything about her caring ways, her gifts, promises, they're not real. It's all lies. She always lies, cheats, and never keeps her word." He told her. "She may promise you something, she may even swear on her mother's grave, but the whole time she'll be lying through her teeth. However she's a very talented actress, I'll give her that. Very good at convincing people that she's dear, sweet, and trust-worthy. Remember that it's all an illusion."

"I think I figured that out when she tried to convince me that my parents were back from the dead." Charlie said. "She almost fooled me too. They looked exactly like my parents, even sounded like them."

"But when you hugged them, you didn't feel anything did you? You didn't feel any of their warmth or their love that you knew from your real parents, did you?"

"No. No I didn't. I didn't feel anything."

"And that's where her illusions falls apart. People often like a pretty cover but sooner or later they'll try to look beneath surface and find what's real. But in her case, there's nothing underneath any of her surface and you have to remember that. Remember to always look deeper and that things are not as they appear where she's involved."

"So in this place, don't take things for granted?"

"Bingo. Another thing you need to know is that for all her great power, she has limitations. One of which is that she cannot create anything. She can only copy and change."

"How come?"

"Because she lacks vision. Imagination, creativity, passion, faith, these are qualities completely foreign to her, yet they are essential for anyone to be able create. But children or those with creative bones and a passionate heart, can make anything in this place."

"What do you mean?"

"Follow me outside. I want to show you something."

"Okay, but can I bring Octavia?"

"Why?"

"I don't feel comfortable leaving her alone as long as we're here."

"Well she's perfectly safe with my associates but if that's how you feel, bring her along."

Hand in hand, Charlie and Octavia curiously followed Alastor out of the house through the back door and started walking along a path he had made. Soon the white surrounding this part of the world turned into colors, many new and brilliant hues fanned out before them. Suddenly Charlie saw something that took her breath away. A landscape filled with the most unusual but magnificent creations.

Tall trees, bushes, and topiaries twisted up like cork-screws and knots, bearing leaves that were not green or brown or red or yellow or orange. They were leaves of pure gold and silver. Trimmed along the grass and bushes there were cinder-black and blood-red steams with beautiful flowers of the strangest yet loveliest design. Tulips made of stars, chrysanthemums made of sunshine, snowdrops made of snowflakes, primroses made of moonlight, wisteria made of raindrops, and roses made of rainbows.

Above them, brightly colored birds flew about and perched themselves in the trees, but when they sang they didn't hear a whistle or a chirp or a tweet. They heard the music of instruments. A bluebird who can sing like a flute, a cardinal who sang like a piano, a finch who sang like violin, a robin who sang like a clarinet, a sparrow who sang like a saxophone, a starling who sang like a trumpet, and a magpie who sang like a drum. And animals with the most peculiar patterns on their coats. Polka dotted rabbits, striped foxes, plaid squirrels, and checkered weasels.