Chapter 60

Meanwhile, Angel and Alastor's toys were spending their time looking after Octavia and keeping her occupied. Well actually it was Moxxie and Millie who were doing that. Loona was trying to help Angel adjust to the recent discovery that things he thought were mere fantasy and now become real. But Moxxie and Millie didn't mind their task and all, to the contrary they enjoyed it immensely.

"You have such pretty hair." Millie remarked, brushing and styling Octavia's raven-black locks. "And so fluffy, like a chick's feathers. Oh it reminds me of Mary's hair, although she was blond."

"Who's Mary?" Octavia asked.

Millie made a bitter-sweet smile as the question brought back memories.

"Mary was one of my best friends. She was such a sweet little girl, always laughing and smiling, and wanting to play. She used to love it when I would brush her hair, her and Elizabeth."

"Who's Elizabeth?"

"Elizabeth was her older sister and my very first friend. She was so lonely when she was a little girl, her mother wouldn't let her have friends. So her uncle made me just for her, to be her friend. I was her favorite doll and we did everything together, I was all she had when her uncle couldn't;t be there. Then her sister Abigail was born and her uncle made Moxxie for her, so she could have a friend who would always be there too. We met on Abigail's fifth birthday, remember dear?"

"How could I forget?" Moxxie smiled as he he pulled out a deck of cards. "It was one of the happiest days of my life. It was the first time I ever felt the warm embrace of child and for hours I made her laugh as we played games and I did tricks for her. Then at night, when she put me up for the night, she set me down right next to you, the prettiest little lady I had ever seen and I knew from the moment I saw you that you were the wife for me."

He took hold of her hand and kissed it.

"Oh you." She giggled.

"And when Elizabeth and Abigail got older, they passed us down to their sister and brother Ruth and Simon, then they passed us down to the youngest ones Willy and Mary."

"Being loved by those children were the best times that we ever knew."

But then Levana found out just how special those two toys were and she didn't like it. So she took them away, locked them in chest down in the cellar, and left them there until she could find a way to make them useful to her. One cannot even begin to imagine the horror they went through the night Levana did the unthinkable. Even locked up in a chest, down in cellar, they could still hear those poor children screaming for help as they were being burned alive, desperately trying to break out to help them or calling out for someone to help the children in the place. Anything to save them from dying. And when they heard someone cry out that the children were dead, well they just wanted to die themselves. To throw away their souls and become inanimate toys, unable to feel or know sorrow and heartache.

However there was one small ray of joy left. It came when the chest was finally opened and there stood Elizabeth and Mary, still alive. They had been led here by a mysterious owl who's goal was to help the surviving girls get away from there wretched mother. Moxxie and Millie vowed right then and there not let Elizabeth, Mary, or any other child suffer the same fate as the lost four as long as it was in their power to prevent it. So together they conspired to help Elizabeth and Mary flee the town with Jacob, by using their own special gifts in trickery. In the end the plan worked and the sisters were finally free.

Elizabeth wanted Moxxie and Millie to go with them, she considered them just as much her family as her uncle and siblings were. But as much as they wanted spend eternity being loved by her, Mary, and their descendants, they knew that someone like Levana wouldn't just stop plaguing her own children. They knew she would prey on others if left alone to do so. They had to stay behind and stop her somehow. Elizabeth and Mary were sad to leave them but they understood their reasons and the couple had no regrets, especially Millie.