Parallax-Chapter 9

"Report!" said Janeway walking onto the Bridge with the other Bridge crew members, Amanda took her place next to the pilot conn. "We're running into some kind of spatial distortion." said Seska, a Bajoran woman and former Maquis. "Mister Tuvok!" said Janeway "the distortions are emanating from a highly localized disturbance in the space-time continuum. Distance, twenty thousand kilometres off the port bow." replied Tuvok "all stop." said Janeway, Tom stops the ship, Janeway turns to Amanda, "on screen. Gravimetric flux density is over two thousand percent. If I'm not mistaken, we're looking at a type four quantum singularity." said Janeway.

"Captain, I am receiving an audio transmission from within the singularity." said Tuvok "on speakers." Janeway said to Amanda, a female sounding voice, but the words are garbled and no-one can understand it "I think I've found the source of the transmission." said Amanda.

The distant image of a ship appears on the viewscreen against the black hole, Amanda looked closely it had a familiar shape, she couldn't tell though and her eyes might've been playing tricks on her. "Does it look like any ship you're familiar with?" Janeway asked Neelix "no, nothing I recognise. But then it's, it's so hard to make out." replied Neelix, Amanda agreed with him "they may be trapped in the event horizon. Open a channel. This is Captain Kathryn Janeway of the Starship Voyager to the vessel near the quantum singularity. Do you need help?" Janeway asked after Amanda set up a channel.

Kes turned to Neelix "event horizon?" she asked, Neelix began to explain "a singularity is a star that's collapsed in on itself. The event horizon is a very powerful energy field surrounding it. Why, er, once on a particularly dangerous trade mission to the twin stars of Keloda, I myself was almost trapped inside..." Neelix was interrupted by Tuvok "no response to our hail, Captain." "can we tractor the vessel out?" Janeway asked "no. The subspace interference is too heavy." said Harry "Captain, we're less than three light years from Ilidaria. They have sophisticated technology. They might be able to help and they're quite friendly, most of the time." said Neelix, Amanda raised an eyebrow at the 'most of the time' part of Neelix's description of the Ilidarians. "No. It looks like it's being pulled in toward the singularity. We have to get it out of the event horizon." said Janeway "Bridge to Torres. We need a way to get that ship out of there. Any ideas?" Chakotay asked B'Elanna causing Janeway to look at him oddly "I was thinking we could remodulate a tractor beam to match" B'Elanna said, Amanda nodded in agreement.

"The subspace interference. It might be enough to cut through the event horizon." B'Elanna continued "a subspace tractor beam?" Chakotay asked "exactly." said B'Elanna "when can you have it ready?" he asked "two hours, maybe three." said B'Elanna "get right on it. Use as many people as you need." said Chakotay, annoyed Janeway taps her combadge "Mister Carey, what do you think?" she asked, Amanda shared a look with Tom, she rolled her eyes, B'Elanna and Carey were evenly matched when it came to engineering. "With the right field modulation it might work, but we'll need more power to the emitter array." said Carey. "Very well. You're in charge, Mister Carey. Report to me when the tractor beam is ready." said Janeway, practically scowling at Chakotay.

"Aye, Captain." said Carey. Janeway turned to Tom "Mister Paris? Hold our position here. (to Chakotay) I'd like to see you in private." said Janeway. 

Chakotay and Janeway walked into Janeway's ready room "we have a problem and I think it's time we discussed it." said Janeway "Captain, I appreciate your concerns about Torres, but I promise you..." Janeway cuts Chakotay off "you don't understand, Commander. This isn't about Torres. My problem is with you." snapped Janeway "Me?" Chakotay asked "let me be blunt. What you tried to do just now was out of line." said Janeway "in what way?" Chakotay asked "when you decided to call Torres in Engineering." Janeway responded "I've worked with her. I know what she's capable of. We needed an answer right away and I knew she could give us one." reasoned Chakotay "Carey is the senior officer in Engineering." said Janeway "if you look at it that way, none of my people will ever have seniority." said Chakotay "that's the problem, right there. They're not your people. You're treating the Maquis on this ship like they're still your crew." argued Janeway "I'm doing everything I can to integrate them into your crew, but frankly, you're not making it easy for me, Captain." replied Chakotay "I can't make it easy, Commander. Surely you can understand that. They don't have the discipline. They don't have the training." Janeway responds "but some of them, like B'Elanna Torres have the ability." said Chakotay "the Starfleet officers on this ship have worked all their lives to earn their commissions. How am I supposed to ask them to accept a Maquis as their superior officer just because circumstances have forced us together?" asked Janeway "you're asking them to accept me." Chakotay said evenly "you're qualified. You're a graduate of the Academy, and you have Starfleet command experience." said Janeway, she was right of course, it still rubbed Chakotay the wrong way though, cause he was right too.