Deadlock-Chapter 82

[Mess hall]

Neelix refills Samantha Wildman's mug.

"Good afternoon, Ensign. How are we doing today?" Neelix asked.

"Oh, we're doing just fine, thank you." Wildman replied smiling.

"Good, good. By the way, I was wondering if you'd take a look at the thermal array in the kitchen. It overloaded this morning and vaporised an entire pot roast." Neelix said.

"I'd be happy to." Wildman replied.

"Wonderful. I informed Ensign Kim about the problem hours ago, and he still hasn't come down to fix it." said Neelix.

[Kitchen]

"He's been working on a problem with the structural integrity grid. I'm sure he hasn't forgotten about you." said Wildman.

"If this thing doesn't get fixed soon, we'll all be eating cold leftovers for dinner and who do you think the crew will blame?" Neelix asked.

"Looks like you need a new set of anodyne relays. I'll go down to Engineering and get some for you out of storage." Wildman offered.

[Mess hall]

"Thanks. Oh, and while you're here, would you mind taking a look at the replicator? It's been having trouble making anything with large amounts of cellulose." said Neelix.

"Of course." Wildman replied.

"Cabbages, psyllium, green beans, celery and all. It all comes out looking a touch too yellow." Neelix said.

"I thought you didn't use replicated vegetables when you're cooking. Always fresh, organic, from the airponic bay." said Wildman.

"Well, the yields have been a little low lately. Normally, I would never dream of using synthesised veggies." Neelix said.

"It looks like a malfunction in the power grid. Shouldn't be too difficult." said Wildman.

Wildman gasps and sits down.

"What's wrong?" Neelix asked.

"I think I'm having a contraction. Oh, yeah! It's a contraction, all right." Wildman comments.

"That's wonderful. Labour can't be far behind. Let's, let's get you to Sickbay. Try to breathe now. Deep, deep regular breaths. Not so fast now. We're having a baby." said Neelix, helping Wildman out of the Mess Hall.

[Sickbay]

"Push!" said the Doctor.

"Don't forget to breathe, Samantha. Deep regular breaths. That's it." Kes said encouragingly.

"Cervical dilation is at ten point two centimetres. Prostaglandin levels are normal. Push, Ensign." said the Doctor.

"You push, damn it! I'm sick of pushing!" snapped Wildman.

"I know you're fatigued. Try to focus on your breathing. Remember the exercises we did. When you feel a contraction, bear down." the Doctor said.

[Bridge]

Janeway is pacing, so is Amanda.

"This is ridiculous. It's been seven hours. How long does it take to deliver a baby?" Tom asked.

Of course he knew it can take ages, Matilda Paris, his little sister who was turning seventeen she decided she like her mother's womb and wanted to stay so there was Charlotte Paris in labour for six days.

"As long as it takes, Mister Paris." Janeway replied.

"You should know that, you've got two sisters." Amanda said softly.