Tattoo-Chapter 58

[Moon surface]

A rock-strewn open area. Amanda, Neelix, Tuvok and Chakotay are on the Moon's surface.

"Anything?" Chakotay asked.

"Not really. The polyferranide deposits are contaminated with astaline." said Amanda.

"Commander, there's something over here I think you should see." said Tuvok.

"Pack it up. We'll find better quality somewhere down the line." Chakotay said to Amanda.

"That line is going to be cut short when our nacelles burn themselves up if we don't find it soon." Amanda said.

"What have you got, Lieutenant?" Chakotay asked.

"There have been other visitors to this moon recently." said Tuvok.

"What do you think this is? Some kind of message?" Neelix asked.

Chakotay kneels by circle of stones with markings on the ground inside it. He traces the spiral and remembers - 

[Memory - Central American jungle]

The same spiral and lines carved into a piece of dead wood.

"I don't want you to go wandering off." Kolopak said.

"I'm not. I'm just looking at something." young Chakotay replied.

"Antonio." Kolopak said.

Kolopak speaks the local language to their one of their guides. Antonio replies in the same language.

"He says you're quite a scout, a kep-o-ne." Kolopak explained to Chakotay.

"I was just looking at a lizard when I saw it." young Chakotay said.

"Well, it was your eyes that saw it. No one else's did. That's the important thing. Come. I want you to understand this. It's a blessing to the land, an ancient healing symbol. A chamozi. They probably cut this down for firewood." Kolopok said.

"The Rubber Tree People?" young Chakotay asked.

"Well, the closest thing to the ancient Rubber Tree People that we'll ever see. The people in this tribe are their descendants, just like we are. But they never left this jungle, and they rarely intermarry with other tribes." said Kolopak.

"And they still use firewood instead of magnesite fuel like everyone else." young Chakotay said.

"Chakotay, they have chosen to live like this for centuries. That's why we are travelling on foot and not using a transporter. We honour the Sky Spirits who led our ancestors to this sacred land." Kolopak said.

"Sacred land?" young Chakotay asked.

"Yes." Kolopak replied.

"Huh. The Sky Spirits must have taken a wrong turn somewhere." young Chakotay said.

[Moon surface]

"Maybe it's a blessing to the land, for damaging it with the campfire." Chakotay suggested.

"What is your basis for that conclusion, Commander?" Tuvok asked.

"Oh, just something somebody told me once." Chakotay replied.

[Sickbay]

Mother to be Ensign Wildman is lying on her side on a biobed.

"Describe the nature of your pain." said the Doctor.

"In the lower back. It's tight." Ensign Wildman replied.

"Choose the word that would best describe your pain. Burning, throbbing, piercing, pinching, biting, stinging, shooting--" the Doctor began.