Phage-Chapter 16

"Captain! We've completed our diagnostic on the alien device. It appears to be more than a weapon. It's also a very sophisticated medical scanner and surgical instrument." said B'Elanna. "From what we can tell, it uses a neural resonator to stun the victim, while a quantum imaging begins a microcellular analysis of the entire body." said Tuvok "the amount of information this thing can gather puts a tricorder to shame. You fire this at someone, you learn everything about their anatomy, right down to their DNA sequencing." said B'Elanna "so it sounds like we're dealing with aliens who've developed a technology specifically designed to locate and extract organs from other beings. Why?" asked Janeway. "Captain! The alien ship has dropped out of warp. It's approaching a large asteroid." said Chakotay.

"On screen." said Janeway. "It's entered the asteroid, Captain." said Amanda and Tom "hold position here. Mister Kim?" asked Janeway, "I can't scan the interior. The surface stratum is made up of some sort of neutronium alloy. It doesn't look like a natural formation." said Harry. "Are you saying some one built this asteroid?" asked Janeway. "It's possible." said Harry. "Any sign of weapons or defence systems?" asked Janeway. "Negative." said Tuvok.

"I think I've located where the alien ship entered. There's an open crater on the limb of the asteroid." said Tom. "Let's see it." said Chakotay. "The ion trail from the alien ship leads directly inside." said Tom. "How large is that crater?" asked Janeway. "Two hundred metres in diameter." said Amanda leaning over to look at Tom's console. "Captain, may I suggest you consider carefully what you are about to do." said Tuvok. 

Janeway turns to face him. "How do you know what I'm about to do?" asked Janeway. "I could describe to you in detail the psychological observations I have made about you over the past four years which lead me to conclude you are about to take this ship inside the asteroid. But suffice it to say, I know you quite well." said Tuvok. "One of these days I'm going to surprise you, Tuvok, but not today. I've already considered other options. If Neelix has any chance of surviving, we have to act fast. Red alert. Mister Paris, lay in a course." said Janeway. "Aye, Captain." said Tom. "Mister Tuvok, maximum shields. Phasers at the ready." said Janeway. 

Voyager heads into the crack in the asteroid. "Captain, I'm reducing power to the aft thrusters only. This passageway is getting a little too narrow for my taste." said Tom. "Use your discretion, Mister Paris. Any sign of the vessel, Lieutenant?" asked Janeway. "We are still following the ion trail, but electro-magnetic interference is limiting our sensor range. I am only able to scan five hundred metres ahead of us." said Tuvok. "Are there any indications we're being scanned or probed, Mister Kim?" asked Chakotay. "Not yet." said Harry.

The area above Neelix has been decorated, and the lights dimmed. "Doctor? Doctor, I require your assistance." said Neelix. "What is it, Mister Neelix?" asked the Doctor. "Please, it's urgent." said Neelix. The Doctor walks over to Neelix "yes?" he asked. "I have an itch" said Neelix. "An itch?" asked the Doctor. "Just above my left eyebrow." said Neelix. The Doctor sighs, and scratches it. "A little higher. Ah. Thank you." said Neelix. "You're quite welcome." said the Doctor walking off. "Doctor, wait, don't leave." said Neelix. "I'm not leaving, Mister Neelix, I'm simply going back to work." said the Doctor. "I can't see you over there. I feel like I'm all alone." said Neelix.

"You are all alone. I'm a holographic projection. A projection with a lot of work to do, I might add." said the Doctor. "That's very amusing, Doctor. But, I'm really starting to feel a little trapped in here. A little claustrophobic, maybe. I'm not sure what to do." said Neelix. "There's nothing you can do except lie there and be quiet." said the Doctor. "I'm going to lie here for the rest of my life, aren't I? Just staring up at the ceiling. I'm not sure I can take that. I really need to get out of this restraint. Doctor, I want you to let me out of this thing right now." demanded Neelix. "You know that's impossible." said the Doctor. "I'm the patient, I know what my rights are. I want to be released from this restraint immediately. Immediately!" yelled Neelix. "Mister Neelix, you are alive. You are breathing and for the moment your condition is stable. That is more than most people can say in your situation. Now it is critical to your recovery that you not subject yourself to any additional stress. Try to calm down." said the Doctor. "Don't tell me to calm down! You're not the one trapped in a restraining field with holo, holo-lungs. I don't think they're working. I can't, can't get enough oxygen. There's something wrong." snapped Neelix starting to hyperventilate. "You're hyperventilating. Try to take slow, natural breaths." said the Doctor looking at the screen. "I can't. I'm dying. Let me out of here. Help me. Help me." said Neelix. The Doctor hypos Neelix into unconsciousness.