11

Luke Hemmings

Love — I hate that feeling of love. No matter where and how. Love is complex, it could destroy you. I would rather have meaningless hookups, but the second I got to know Atlas and we've started working together, she was just so much more than the straight a girl. She was compassionate, she was kind, she was simply fucking adorable and I found myself falling for her. Luke Hemmings, the lacrosse guy is falling for a straight a girl: Atlas Montgomery.

"Mate, are you listening?" Ashton snaps with his fingers right in front of my face, while I was lifting the weights and tried to get Atlas off of my mind.

"Definitely not." Calum sneered and I glared at them, as I pulled my shirt off of my body and toss it next to the work bench next to me. Michael scoffed.

"He's too busy thinking about his new girlfriend." he retorted and I but the bar back to the hook.

"She's not my girlfriend, you fucking twat!" I spat and grabbed the bottle of water, to take a few sips out of it.

"But you wish she would be. I mean I've seen her so admit it, she's fine and she did changed you. In a good way." Calum shrugs, who's actually going out with Kaitlin Pierce. Apparently they made their moves, I wasn't listening on that story of Calum. But I am happy for him. Calum never had a relationship before, neither did he had sex. He once said, that he was focused on other stuff, which was lacrosse and college.

"I do not and no one has changed me in any fucking way. I'm the same old Luke, with the same old boring ass friends. Could we please drop it?" I try to ask as polite as possible, but I growled, making my mates laugh. Oh God, why am I friends with a bunch of idiots? Okay, I liked being around with them, because one: they were great company actually and two: Ashton always made sure to keep us in form. He is the oldest with 22 and almost done studying, but he still managed to look after Michael, Calum and I, like we're some little babies. Ashton was in general like that — he made sure the others are fine, then he gets to treat himself. I guess it's something what you have, when you have an alcoholic mother, no father and two siblings, who were too young to deserve all of this. I remember he cried, because he was going to lose his mind and how overwhelmed he was with studying and taking care of his siblings, some days he didn't even attend to high school, because he was looking out for his siblings and couldn't leave them at home. I felt fucking sorry for him and he was the only one I would cry with.

I got pulled out from my thoughts, when a heavy breathing Kaitlin and Atlas ran into the gym. A few boys from the team looked up, immediately getting caught off by Atlas' beauty.

"Luke," she gasped, holding her ribs and right now I was fucking worried, that someone had done something to her. Normally I would make fun of Atlas for having little stamina, but I didn't this time. Something drove me away from it.

"Hey, hey, breathe. What's going on?" I got up, grabbing her chin, when she brushed my grip off and leaning her palms against her knees.

"And you tell me, he doesn't care about her." I heard Ashton mumble, making Calum grin. Kaitlin looked at Calum, greeting him with a kiss on his cheek, making me roll with my eyes. The urge to punch them in the face was big right now.

"Luke, my dad is here. He wants to see you." she told me and I frowned.

"What does he possibly want from Luke?" Michael asks, a bit confused and I nodded.

"Yeah." my lips were pressed to a thin line and I knew I was lying.

"I don't know, he just said it's urgent." she told me and started biting on her fingernails.

"And that I shouldn't listen." she added and I felt bad for her. Honestly, Bryce was a fucking cunt. If anything doesn't go his way, he makes your life a living hell. I speak out of experience.

"Michael, could you get her something to drink?" I asked the bleached boy, known as Michael.

"Sure, come with me, Atlas." the boy smiled, taking her wrist and I ignored the urge to rip her out of Michael's grip and take her with me. Taking my shirt, I pulled it over my body and started to jog to the entrance of the campus, where I was greeted by a silver and very expensive looking Porsche. The window slid down and I looked into Bryce Montgomery's face, suppressing the urge of punching him in the face.

"Hemmings, sit down." he said monotonously, which made me roll with my eyes. Nevertheless I sat in the passenger seat and clenched my jaw.

"You better make it fucking quick, because your daughter is alone with my reckless friends." I told him and I could sense the nerve I hit. He loved his daughter — oh, he did. But he hated, when I was bringing her into this.

"Watch your tongue, kid." his voice was deep, his blue eyes, which Atlas must've from him, looked into mine.

"You're going to have the race of your night today. 250K is the start, if you win, I double it up." he continued and I frowned.

"Why do you pick me for the race?" I crossed my arms, making him chuckle.

"Because we have this deal for long enough, Luke and I won't hesitate to do things that I promised you I would. And we both know damn well, that someone like you need the money from someone like me." and I fucking knew what he would do. He would do horrible things. Also he was right — that bastard knew I needed the money and he also knew that Atlas shouldn't get to know any of this. Consider the fact that I've been working with Bryce under the tables for three fucking years. He got me into this bullshit, that's why I said that he was a cunt. He picked me up from the street, after my first race, put me into college and made me like I am now. And that all was something no one knew. Not even Calum, who was my roommate.

"Or should I call your mother again."

"Leave her out of this, you fucking cunt." I growled, growing more and more angry.

"There he is, mommy's pride and joy, huh?" he pulled out something from his bag, while I tried to get my mother's imagines out of my mind. Even though I missed her fucking lots, I fucked up — badly.

"What if I'm not gonna do it?" I ask, just to make sure what the consequences would be. A devilish grin curled on his face and I clenched my jaw even harder.

"Oh, Luke — you don't want to know." and I knew damn well, that I really don't fucking want to know at this point.