♡February 19, 2024♡

Lovesong of the Day:

Crush Culture by Conan Gray

TODAY IS THE START OF AROMANTIC AWARENESS WEEK. As many of you know, I am aroace. Not only will this week be a fashion week headed into next week, since this is a shortened week, but I'll be dedicating a lot of these days to talking about the aromantic community. I really want to get into my experiences since it's very interesting.

When I was young, I never had any real crushes. All of the "crushes" I had I faked to kind of prove to myself that I was "normal." I faked loads of crushes like this from between kindergarten and 4th grade. These end up becoming important later down the road though.

In fifth grade was when I really started realizing that I hadn't had a crush yet and my old fake elementary crushes made me think that I was straight. Well, heteromantic and asexual/demisexual specifically. Big mistake because that lead to a sexuality crisis in which I thought I liked 3 of my best friends, Chaka, J, and Earth. The big deal at the time was the fact that Earth was a demiboy, and femboy but I didn't find that out until later, at the time meaning I wasn't heteromantic. Correct but not in the way I thought.

6th grade was when I started coming to terms with the fact that all of my crushes were either faked in order to feel normal or me misinterpreting purely platonic feelings as romantic. I don't remember how I discovered the label, but I found it eventually and it stuck with me. I've been aroace for 2 years now but it honestly feels like I've been out forever.